8 November 2012
Loeb tops qualifying in Spain
Sebastien Loeb heads pack in qualifying in Spain, 0.1 seconds up on Evgeny Novikov; Mikko Hirvonen completes the top three...
Citroen's Sebastien Loeb was fastest this morning in the qualifying stage for Rally de Espana, the final round in the 2012 World Rally Championship.
Loeb completed the 2.94 kilometre Emprius de Salou test in 2 minutes 6.100 seconds, which put him 0.1 seconds up on Evgeny Novikov's DMACK tyres-shod Ford Fiesta RS WRC car. Loeb will now get first choice of start position for Friday's opening day, which is run mostly on gravel.
Mikko Hirvonen meanwhile was third in the sister works Citroen DS3 WRC car, 0.2 seconds further back, while the Fords of Jari-Matti Latvala and Petter Solberg came in fourth and fifth respectively.
“I thought I was setting a good time, but in the end, as always, Loeb was the fastest!” Hirvonen lamented.
“I made a mistake and the back tyre slid out,” Latvala conceded, “but it was nothing important.”
“I had a problem in a corner [too],” Solberg added, "as I could not use first gear.”
Behind, Thierry Neuville rounded out the top six in his Citroen Junior WRT DS3 WRC, followed by local star, Dani Sordo, Ott Tanak, Mads Ostberg and Martin Prokop in positions 7 through to 10.
“I made a couple of mistakes, but with such a short stage that meant I lost quite a lot of time,” Sordo said.
Drivers will now select their start positions in a few hours time. Rally de Espana then gets underway 'proper' on Friday, with SS1, the 7 km Gandesa 1 test, due to start at 07.45 hours local time (06.45 hours UK time).
Rally de Espana: Qualifying stage:
1. Sebastien Loeb Citroen Total WRT DS3 WRC 2m 06.100s M
2. Evgeny Novikov Ford Fiesta RS WRC +0.100s
3. Mikko Hirvonen Citroen Total WRT DS3 WRC +0.300s M
4. Jari-Matti Latvala Ford WRT Fiesta RS WRC +0.500s M
5. Petter Solberg Ford WRT Fiesta RS WRC +0.800s M
6. Thierry Neuville Citroen Junior WRT Citroen DS3 WRC +1.300s
7. Dani Sordo Prodrive WRC Team MINI John Cooper Works WRC +1.400s
8. Ott Tanak M-Sport Ford WRT Fiesta RS WRC +1.500s M
9. Mads Ostberg Adapta WRT Fiesta RS WRC +1.600s M
10. Martin Prokop Czech Ford National Team Fiesta RS WRC +3.400s
11. Han Weijs Qatar WRT Citroen DS3 WRC +3.500s M
12. Jarkko Nikara Prodrive WRC Team MINI John Cooper Works WRC +4.200s
13. Chris Atkinson WRC MINI Team Portugal John Cooper Works WRC +4.500s
14. Daniel Oliveira Brazil WRT Ford Fiesta RS WRC +5.100s M
15. Abdulaziz Alkuwari Seashore Qatar WRT MINI John Cooper Works WRC +9.500s
16. John Powell M-Sport Ford WRT Fiesta RS WRC +12.300s M
17. Paulo Nobre WRC MINI Team Portugal John Cooper Works WRC +15.000s
all times unofficial
Click on relevant pic to enlarge
the conversation - Add your comment
Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.