WRC »

M-Sport confirms Qatar backing for 2013

As expected, Malcolm Wilson's M-Sport team will continue in the World Rally Championship in 2013 thanks to a deal with Nasser Al-Attiyah and the Qatari State
M-Sport will compete in the World Rally Championship next season after announcing a new partnership with Qatar.

Under the agreement the Cumbrian-based firm, which has had to secure backing after Ford's decision to stop its factory programme, will enter three Qatari liveried Ford Fiesta RS WRCs in the 2013 championship. The squad will compete under the Qatar M-Sport World Rally Team banner, as reported on Crash.net earlier this month.

Nasser Al-Attiyah will drive one of the three cars, taking in seven of the 13 rounds around his other motorsport commitments and beginning his season in Sweden.

The Qatari driver is said to have been 'instrumental' in making the partnership become a reality and he already enjoys a strong relationship with M-Sport. Indeed he is set to do battle for a record-breaking eighth FIA Middle East Rally Championship title with M-Sport's Ford Fiesta RRC at the end of this month.

“We are delighted to welcome such a prestigious partner as Qatar on board for 2013,” said M-Sport managing director, Malcolm Wilson OBE. “The partnership with Nasser [Al-Attiyah] and the Qatari State will enable M-Sport to continue at the pinnacle of the sport and we are looking forward to working together in the future. Since the 2012 season came to a close, work has not stopped and the entire team is working around the clock to ensure we deliver a strong package for next year.”

“We are looking forward to building on our strong relationship with M-Sport and working with them in 2013,” added Al-Attiyah, who this year of course competed in the WRC with a Citroen DS3 WRC.

“I have a good knowledge of the car having driven the [Ford] Fiesta S2000 to its debut win in 2010 and now looking to secure my eighth title in the Middle East with the [Ford] Fiesta RRC.

“I am now really looking forward to getting behind the wheel of the [Ford] Fiesta RS WRC and contesting as many WRC events as I can around my other motorsport commitments.”

Al-Attiyah's team-mates have still to be confirmed, but Petter Solberg and Mads Ostberg are believed to be the favourites with Ott Tanak and Evgeny Novikov more outside bets.



Related Pictures

Click on relevant pic to enlarge
Nasser Al-Attiyah (QA), Citroen DS3 WRC
Nasser Al-Attiyah (QA), Citroen DS3 WRC
Nasser Al-Attiyah (QA) Giovanni Bernacchini (ITA), Citroen DS3 WRC
Nasser Al-Attiyah (QA) Giovanni Bernacchini (ITA), Citroen DS3 WRC
Malcolm Wilson Team Principal Ford World Rally Team

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.


ForzaCockermouth

November 26, 2012 12:57 PM

This is good news for WRC 2013. OK Nasser is never gonna be world champion, and I'm sure people will start saying how he has paid for his seat. So what? It means M-Sport will enter 3 Fiesta WRC's in 2013. That can only be a positive in my book.



© 1999 - 2014 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.