18 January 2013
Loeb closing on Monte victory
"The change to the set-up of the car paid off for me today," Latvala commented. "Now I have finally found the trust I need to have in the car and am getting good feedback from my Polo R WRC, which had been missing previously. As I have never really done particularly well at the 'Monte' in the past, my goal was, and remains, to reach the end of the rally safely. Only that way can we gain more experience, score points, and achieve a positive result at this rally. It would not be in our interest to lose patience. I am happy with the way the day panned out for us."
"The first two stages didn't go too badly, but Sisteron was an ordeal," Hirvonen admitted. "I had no pace and no confidence with the mix of tyres. I must at least try to get past Jari-Matti again tomorrow."
Of the rest, Juho Hanninen, Mads Ostberg and Bryan Bouffier lie seventh, eighth and ninth, with Martin Prokop set to pick up the final drivers' point in tenth.
"We made some more changes to the car in service and that worked a lot better for me this afternoon. We had a stage win [SS12] which was really good – it felt like everything just came together for us on that stage. To be honest I think we just calmed down and started again – that's where the confidence has come from," Ostberg explained.
"We had a lot of discussions with our engineer last night so we knew what to do and understood what was necessary to go faster. Instantly it worked, and that was a good thing for sure. I think we had a really good run on the last stage as well but we were on the wrong tyres. I have certainly learnt a lot more about driving on tarmac with snow tyres and I think we are progressing well in all areas. Hopefully we can continue to improve tomorrow."
In WRC2, Sepp Weigand remains out front and in P11 overall, with WRC3 class leader, Sebastien Chardonnet 17th. Chardonnet is the only remaining runner in WRC3, after his only rival retired on Thursday.
Rallye Monte Carlo now concludes on Saturday with five stages on the bill based near Monaco. The total day four competitive distance is 108.52km.
SS14, Moulinet-La Bollene Vesubie 1, kicks off the final leg, starting at 15.08 hours local time [14.08 hours UK time].
Rallye Monte Carlo: Overall standings after Stage 13 (Top 10):
1. Sebastien Loeb Citroen Total Abu Dhabi WRT DS3 WRC 4h 16m 41.9s M
2. Sebastien Ogier Volkswagen Motorsport Polo R WRC +1m 47.4s M
3. Evgeny Novikov Qatar M-Sport WRT Ford Fiesta RS WRC +3m 19.9s M
4. Dani Sordo Abu Dhabi Citroen Total WRT DS3 WRC +3m 21.6s T
5. Jari-Matti Latvala Volkswagen Motorsport Polo R WRC +4m 04.9s M
6. Mikko Hirvonen Citroen Total Abu Dhabi WRT DS3 WRC +4m 19.1s M
7. Juho Hanninen Qatar WRT Ford Fiesta RS WRC +5m 15.5s T
8. Mads Ostberg Qatar M-Sport WRT Ford Fiesta RS WRC +6m 18.2s M
9. Bryan Bouffier Citroen DS3 WRC +8m 20.7s
10. Martin Prokop Czech National Team Ford Fiesta RS WRC +18m 48.8s
11. Sepp Weigand Skoda Fabia S2000 +24m 39.2s WRC2
12. Olivier Burri Peugeot 207 S2000 +28m 13.4s P
13. Michal Kosciousko Lotos Team WRC MINI John Cooper Works WRC +29m 22.4s T
14. Armin Kremer Subaru Impreza +29m 27.5 WRC2
17. Sebastien Chardonnet Citroen DS3 R3T +37m 55.5s WRC3
WRC2 standings after Stage 13 (Top 3):
1. Sepp Weigand Skoda Fabia S2000 4h 41m 21.1s WRC2
2. Armin Kremer Subaru Impreza +4m 48.3s WRC2
3. Yuriy Protasov Subaru Impreza +7m 34.4s WRC2
WRC3 standings after Stage 13:
1. Sebastien Chardonnet Citroen DS3 R3T 4h 54m 37.4s WRC3
SS4. Thierry Neuville Qatar WRT Ford Fiesta RS WRC Went off T
SS9. Renaud Poutot Citroen DS3 R3T Mechanical WRC3
SS10. Julien Marin Ford Fiesta RS WRC Accident
all times unofficial
Rallye Monte Carlo
Click on relevant pic to enlarge
the conversation - Add your comment
Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.