WRC » 7 March 2013
Ogier takes initial lead
Sebastien Ogier heads pack in Mexico after SS2, 0.3 seconds up on Mads Ostberg; Thierry Neuville lies third ahead of Mikko Hirvonen and Dani Sordo
Volkswagen's Sebastien Ogier has taken the early lead on Rally Mexico following the short opening two tests this evening.
Ogier, who was only fifth in qualifying after opting for the harder tyre, was fourth fastest through SS1, the 1.05 km Guanajuato test, before then setting the pace in SS2, beating Mikko Hirvonen by 0.1 seconds.
He now heads into the overnight halt with a slender 0.3 second margin over Mads Ostberg.
Thierry Neuville meanwhile, who was quickest in SS1, is third overall, 0.3 seconds off Ostberg, with Hirvonen, the pace setter in qualifying, fourth.
Dani Sordo and Chris Atkinson round out the top six, the latter surviving a scare when he clipped a kerb inside the Guanajuato tunnel.
Further back, Nasser Al-Attiyah, Evgeny Novikov, Jari-Matti Latvala and Benito Guerra hold positions seven through to ten, ahead of Michal Kosciousko and Ken Block. Latvala stalled at the start of SS2 and finished up six seconds slower than his team-mate and early leader, Ogier through the 2.60km Parque Bicentenario test.
In WRC2, Abdulaziz Al-Kuwari is top in his Ford RRC, 5.6 seconds up on Nicolas Fuchs. Yuriy Protasov is third.
Rally Mexico now gets underway 'proper' on Friday, with SS3, El Cubilete 1, due to start at 07.23 hours local time [13.23 hours UK time]. Friday's action includes eleven stages in total.
Rally Mexico: Overall standings after Stage 2 (Top 10):
1. Sebastien Ogier Volkswagen Motorsport Polo R WRC 3mins 19.5secs M
2. Mads Ostberg Qatar M-Sport WRT Ford Fiesta RS WRC +0.3s M
3. Thierry Neuville Qatar WRT Ford Fiesta RS WRC +0.6s
4. Mikko Hirvonen Citroen Total Abu Dhabi WRT DS3 WRC +1.1s M
5. Dani Sordo Citroen Total Abu Dhabi WRT DS3 WRC +1.4s M
6. Chris Atkinson Citroen Total Abu Dhabi WRT DS3 WRC +2.4s T
7. Nasser Al-Attiyah Qatar WRT Ford Fiesta RS WRC +4.1s T
8. Evgeny Novikov Qatar M-Sport WRT Ford Fiesta RS WRC +5.3s M
9. Jari-Matti Latvala Volkswagen Motorsport Polo R WRC +6.4s M
10. Benito Guerra Citroen DS3 WRC +7.1s
11. Michal Kosciuszko Lotos Team WRC MINI John Cooper Works WRC +10.7s T
12. Ken Block Hoonigan Racing Division Ford Fiesta RS WRC +11.2s
13. Martin Prokop Jipocar Czech National Team Ford Fiesta RS WRC +11.3s T
14. Abdulaziz Al-Kuwari Ford Fiesta RRC +16.1s WRC2
15. Nicolas Fuchs Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IX +21.7s WRC2
WRC2 standings after Stage 2 (Top 3):
1. Abdulaziz Al-Kuwari Ford Fiesta RRC 3m 35.6s WRC2
2. Nicolas Fuchs Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IX +5.6s WRC2
3. Yuriy Protasov Subaru Impreza WRX STi +7.9s WRC2
all times unofficial
Click on relevant pic to enlarge
Join the conversation - Add your comment
Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.