16 November 2013
Wales Rally GB: Ogier extends lead
Sebastien Ogier completes SS11 with his lead over team-mate, Jari-Matti Latvala up to 26.3 seconds; Thierry Neuville remains a lonely third, with Andreas Mikkelsen now fourth and Mads Ostberg fifth.
Sebastien Ogier has extended his lead on Wales Rally GB this morning, which saw Evgeny Novikov and Robert Kubica both crash out in SS11, the latter having re-started under Rally 2.
Ogier started the third day with a 20.1 second advantage and was second quickest in both SS10 and SS11, gaining 3.1 seconds on Volkswagen team-mate, Jari-Matti Latvala in both Gartheiniog 1 and Dyfi 1. The Frenchman now heads to the refuel zone and the re-group with his cushion up to 26.3 seconds.
“The most important thing was to be faster than Latvala,” Ogier said after SS11. “I looked at the splits and felt I could be careful. I'm not pushing too hard, I have a good feeling and it was a clean drive. There is still a lot to do. It is a difficult rally and there is still a long way to go. These stages are very muddy.”
Behind the top two, Thierry Neuville continues to hold third for the Qatar World Rally Team, almost 40 seconds off Latvala and 28 seconds up on Andreas Mikkelsen.
Mikkelsen moved up to fourth in style, after setting the pace in both SS10 and SS11. The Volkswagen Motorsport II driver is now 4.4 seconds ahead of Mads Ostberg in the scrap for P4.
The fight for fourth had been a three-way affair at the start of the day, until Novikov went off the road in Dfyi. The Russian and co-driver, Ilka Minor both escaped unhurt.
Kubica also got caught out in that test, having rejoined the fold after his off in SS4 on Friday. The Pole was eighth quickest in SS10, before he again went out. Citroen team-mate, Dani Sordo reported it looked like a 'big one', when asked about the crash at the end of SS11. Fortunately though, Kubica and new co-driver, Michele Ferrara were both okay.
Futher back, Martin Prokop lies sixth overall in his privately entered Fiesta RS WRC, with Sordo now seventh and running out of order after picking up that 5 minute penalty before the off.
WRC2 runners Elfyn Evans, Mark Higgins and Jari Ketomaa hold positions 8 through to 10, with Evans almost a minute up on Higgins.
Wales Rally GB now continues with repeat-runs through this morning's tests, before competitors tackle the 21.34 km Dyfnant stage and two runs through the short 2.06 km Chirk Castle test. There is no service until the end of the day.
Wales Rally GB: Overall standings after Stage 11 (Top 10):
1. Sebastien Ogier Volkswagen Motorsport Polo R WRC 1hr 56m 27.0s M
2. Jari-Matti Latvala Volkswagen Motorsport Polo R WRC +00m 26.3s M
3. Thierry Neuville Qatar WRT Ford Fiesta RS WRC +01m 06.2s M
4. Andreas Mikkelsen Volkswagen Motorsport II Polo R WRC +01m 34.2s M
5. Mads Ostberg Qatar M-Sport WRT Ford Fiesta RS WRC +01m 38.6s M
6. Martin Prokop Jipocar Czech National Team Ford Fiesta RS WRC +05m 36.4s M
7. Dani Sordo Citroen Total Abu Dhabi WRT DS3 WRC +07m 13.1s M##
8. Elfyn Evans Qatar M-Sport WRT Ford Fiesta R5 +07m 24.6s WRC2
9. Mark Higgins Ford Fiesta R5 +08m 18.9s WRC2
10. Jari Ketomaa Ford Fiesta R5 +08m 21.4s WRC2
11. Yazeed Al Rajhi Ford Fiesta RRC +09m 34.2s WRC2
12. Eyvind Brynildsen Ford Fiesta R5 +10m 34.9s WRC2
13. Edoardo Bresolin Ford Fiesta RRC +12m 29.9s WRC2
14. Tom Cave Ford Fiesta R5 +13m 21.1s WRC2
WRC2 standings after Stage 11 (Top 3):
1. Elfyn Evans Qatar M-Sport WRT Ford Fiesta R5 2hrs 03m 51.6s WRC2
2. Mark Higgins Ford Fiesta R5 +00m 54.3s WRC2
3. Jari Ketomaa Ford Fiesta R5 +00m 56.8s WRC2
WRC3 standings after Stage 11:
1. Jukka Korhonen Citroen DS3 R3T 2hrs 32m 13.5s WRC3
2. Keith Cronin Citroen DS3 R3T +07m 13.6s WRC3
DNS. Nasser Al-Attiyah Qatar WRT Ford Fiesta RS WRC Did not start - hand injury M
SS4. Robert Kubica Abu Dhabi Citroen Total WRT DS3 WRC Crashed M*
SS6. Mikko Hirvonen Citroen Total Abu Dhabi WRT DS3 WRC Crashed M
SS11. Evgeny Novikov Qatar M-Sport WRT Ford Fiesta RS WRC Crashed M
SS11. Robert Kubica Abu Dhabi Citroen Total WRT DS3 WRC Crashed M
*denotes re-started under the Rally 2 regulations;
##Started with a 5 minute penalty;
M denotes Manufacturer entry;
all times unofficial
Tagged as: Sebastien Ogier , SS11 , day 3 , VW , Wales , Rally GB , Ogier , Wales Rally GB , volkswagen , Polo , Polo R WRC
Click on relevant pic to enlarge
the conversation - Add your comment
Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.