8 June 2014
Rally Italia Sardegna: Ogier closes on win
Volkswagen WRC man Sebastien Ogier completes SS16 of Rally Italia Sardegna with a 1 minute 17.4 second lead over Mads Ostberg; Jari-Matti Latvala remains third, 16.9 seconds back; Andreas Mikkelsen and Elfyn Evans round out the top five
Volkswagen's Sebastien Ogier closed in on victory on Rally Italia Sardegna this morning and now just the Power Stage remains.
Ogier began the final day with a 1 minute 40.2 second cushion and as such he could just pace himself through SS14, SS15 and SS16, easing himself in with the eighth quickest time in Cala Flumini – which will be repeated as the Power Stage, before going third fastest in the other two tests.
“The target always when you have a gap like that is to stay concentrated and do a good job. We aren't pushing at all,” he told the official WRC site.
Mads Ostberg meanwhile, who was quickest in SS14, is still second overall and looks comfortable, 16.9 seconds up on Jari-Matti Latvala. Latvala was fastest in SS15 and SS16, but only took 7.6 seconds out of the Norwegian.
Behind there is no change to the top eight, with Andreas Mikkelsen in fourth, followed by Elfyn Evans, Martin Prokop, Henning Solberg and Robert Kubica in positions 5 through to 8 respectively. As expected, Kubica re-started today under Rally 2, as did Hyundai's third driver, Hayden Paddon. Paddon is currently twelfth.
Lorenzo Bertelli and Khalid Al Qassimi round out the top ten, the former on course for the WRC2 class victory. Sebastien Chardonnet is second in WRC2, with Bernardo Sousa now third after Abdulaziz Al-Kuwari took a wheel off in SS15 and retired.
The event now concludes with the Power Stage (SS17), a repeat-run through the 8.98 km Cala Flumini test. It is scheduled to start at 12.08 hours local time [11.08 hours UK time].
Rally Italia Sardegna: Overall standings after Stage 16 (Top 10):
1. Sebastien Ogier Volkswagen Motorsport Polo R WRC 3hours 56m 55.6s M
2. Mads Ostberg Citroen Total Abu Dhabi WRT DS3 WRC +01m 17.4s M
3. Jari-Matti Latvala Volkswagen Motorsport Polo R WRC +01m 34.3s M
4. Andreas Mikkelsen Volkswagen Motorsport II Polo R WRC +02m 41.8s M
5. Elfyn Evans M-Sport WRT Ford Fiesta RS WRC +04m 31.0s M
6. Martin Prokop Jipocar Czech National Team Ford Fiesta RS WRC +05m 53.4s M
7. Henning Solberg Adapta Motorsport Ford Fiesta RS WRC +07m 08.0s
8. Robert Kubica RK M-Sport WRT Ford Fiesta RS WRC +12m 13.1s M
9. Lorenzo Bertelli Ford Fiesta RRC +14m 39.6s WRC2
10. Khalid Al Qassimi Citroen Total Abu Dhabi WRT DS3 WRC +16m 15.5s
11. Sebastien Chardonnet Citroen DS3 R5 +16m 46.1s WRC2
12. Hayden Paddon Hyundai Motorsport N i20 WRC +17m 51.9s M
WRC2 standings after Stage 16 (Top 3):
1. Lorenzo Bertelli Ford Fiesta RRC 4hr 01m 06.0s WRC2
2. Sebastien Chardonnet Citroen DS3 R5 +02m 11.1s WRC2
3. Bernardo Sousa Ford Fiesta RRC +03m 53.3s WRC2
SS2. Nicolas Fuchs Ford Fiesta R5 Mechanical WRC2
SS3/SS4. Mikko Hirvonen M-Sport WRT Ford Fiesta RS WRC Engine M
SS5. Juho Hanninen Hyundai Motorsport i20 WRC Rolled M
SS5. Kris Meeke Citroen Total Abu Dhabi WRT DS3 WRC Electrical M*
SS10. Egon Kaur Ford Fiesta R5 Mechanical WRC2
SS11. Yazeed Al-Rajhi Ford Fiesta RRC Went off the road WRC2
SS12. Robert Kubica RK M-Sport WRT Ford Fiesta RS WRC Took the front-right wheel off M**
SS13. Hayden Paddon Hyundai Motorsport N i20 WRC Engine M**
SS13. Nasser Al-Attiyah Qatar Rally Team Ford Fiesta RRC Went off the road WRC2
SS13. Giuseppe Dettori Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IX Gr. N Mechanical WRC2
SS15. Abdulaziz Al-Kuwari Ford Fiesta RRC Lost a wheel WRC2
M denotes Manufacturer entry
*denotes re-started on Saturday under Rally 2
**denotes re-started on Sunday under Rally 2
all times unofficial
Click on relevant pic to enlarge
the conversation - Add your comment
Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.