WRC Rallye Monte Carlo: Potential was there to do more – Evans

M-Sport's Elfyn Evans has to settle for seventh on Rallye Monte Carlo in his Ford Fiesta RS WRC, leaves with “a feeling of what could have been...”
M-Sport driver Elfyn Evans says he needs to work on consistency and being a bit cleverer in the aftermath Rallye Monte Carlo, the 2015 WRC season opener.

Evans was running fifth when he clipped a wall in SS11 on Saturday and damaged the rear suspension on his Ford Fiesta RS WRC.

He then had to make temporary repairs to get through SS12 and back to parc ferme in Monaco, slipping behind the Hyundai's of Thierry Neuville and Dani Sordo to his eventual finishing position of P7.

“There's a feeling of what could have been at the end of this event,” said the Welshman, who set nine top-ten stages times from a possible 14, including going fourth quickest in SS2 and third quickest in SS3. “The potential was definitely there to do more, but there were a couple of silly mistakes on my part – one of which was extremely costly.

“In some places it has been pretty good, but in others it has been very frustrating. We need to work on consistency and being a bit cleverer.

“We had some very good tyre choices throughout the weekend, but then again some weren't quite so good.

“Overall the speed has been good and that is definitely a big positive that we can take from this weekend.

"We can also see where we went wrong which is important for the future and I'm looking forward to coming back next year and having another go.”
by Rob Wilkins

Related Pictures

Click on relevant pic to enlarge
Elfyn Evans, Daniel Barrit (Ford Fiesta WRC, #6 M-Sport World Rally Team)
Elfyn Evans, Daniel Barrit (Ford Fiesta WRC, #6 M-Sport World Rally Team)
Elfyn Evans, Daniel Barrit (Ford Fiesta WRC, #5 M-Sport World Rally Team)
Elfyn Evans, Daniel Barrit (Ford Fiesta WRC, #5 M-Sport World Rally Team)
Elfyn Evans, Daniel Barrit (Ford Fiesta WRC, #6 M-Sport World Rally Team)

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.


January 26, 2015 3:30 PM

Lol ! he did a bit more than clip a wall, I think the wall was almost as stunned as he was, but joking aside he did well to avoid a more damging outcome and he did better than others to get he car through the next stage and ack to service. This event last year marked his debut Full season in a WRC Car. it is obvious that a driver this full of potential will be aware of all of the requirements. He has all the potential to become a star in the sport. Already he is eyeing what could of been against such drivers as Sordo, Neuville, Tanak, Mikklessen, Meeke, Ostberg and even Loeb I think we will see him working on his speed this year and start to challenge the Top drivers on stages as he grows his confidence and self belief. I think he is progressing really well for a young driver in only his 2nd season driving a WR Car. I am keen to see him develop

© 1999 - 2016 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.