Petter Solberg says he is satisfied to come away from the FIA World Rallycross season opener as joint-leader after suffering with illness and car troubles all weekend.

The defending champion claimed victory in three of his six races in Montalegre, Portugal, but had to settle for second place in the final race behind Johan Kristoffersson. The Norwegian driver, who had been under the weather, was also suffering with technical problems in his Citroen DS3 PSRX machine in both the semi-final and final race.

"I am actually very, very pleased with the second place in this afternoon's [Sunday's] final," Solberg said. "As well as the centre differential trouble, the gearshift was also coming loose which made it quite tough in the semi-final and final.

"To be honest, I didn't really stand much of a chance to challenge Kristoffersson's victory. But anyway, it is an extremely good result in the first part of the title defence this season."

The pair are tied on 27 points after the first round and Solberg feels it was the best result he could have hoped for under the circumstances.

"This result gives us a chance to calm down a little bit, after such a busy pre-season," Solberg added. "Of course, our test programme had been strong and we had good confidence in our team and the car but we didn't know anything about the performance levels of our rivals.

"Now we know that we are competitive. This start gives me a great feeling for the upcoming races. I hope that we can stay on top of the table at Hockenheim."

The 2015 World Rallycross championship recommences next weekend for round two at Hockenheim, alongside the DTM season opener.