WSBK » Spies setting up and shaking down at Imola

BigC in TX - Unregistered

July 17, 2009 1:26 PM

Sounds like someone is holding his cards mighty close to the chest! Seems like business as usual in the Spies camp. When that round comes around, let's hope we get some good close (but safe) racing! How hot could it be in Italy anyways? Here in TX it's been over 105 for the last 11 days in a ROW! He SHOULD be used to it!

Rolf

July 17, 2009 2:33 PM

It is rather funny reading all the posts with assumptions and conclusions drawn from testing and we have little (if any) information as to the goals of each rider/team for any given lap or session. I suspect folks other than Ben are interested in setting a fast lap in order to build confidence in themselves, team, sponsors and fans. Ben has no need to build that as he has all of the former in spades. Good position to be in as I trust he (team) will keep all in perspective and focus on the championship and not a race within a race.

jack handy - Unregistered

July 17, 2009 3:24 PM

I wish Spies had set some demoralizing lap times and really made the competition think. Now Rea and Fab boy are brimming with confidence. Not to take anything away from either as they have both done great this year.But after Fab beat Spies at Imola on a DNF no less, it's inspired him. A little confindence goes a long way. Would Doohan or Rossi just fiddled around?

Pam

July 17, 2009 3:32 PM

I don't know if that's right Jack. For Spies, maybe it's like that "I know, that you know, that I know" I'm gonna be really fast, things. I doubt that anyone, other than maybe Fabio, thinks Spies has lost the pace, and that rather, the hammer will come down when and where he decides, likely a few laps from the end of the next race and there's nothing they can do about it.

Ian S - Unregistered

July 17, 2009 3:41 PM

I call BS on this statement! This is Spies messing with the other riders heads, just like Mladin used to do to him. If he could have blitzed everyone else's times then he would have. He's a racer and it's in his DNA to do that.

Suns_PSD - Unregistered

July 17, 2009 4:52 PM

Ben is just being wise and working on his set up on race tires and trying lots of different things in preperation for the race. That is what a test session is supposed to be about.

Besides, how stupid would it be if now that he has got Haga right where he wants him, if Spies went and threw himself down the road just in an attempt to impress at a non-points paying event?

I concur about the Central TX heat right now btw, worst Summer ever.

El Bigonio

July 17, 2009 5:55 PM

Before everyone goes and starts trying to figure out what Spies is thinking??? Just remember that it is contract time and the guys who are willing to risk it a bit "in testing" just to show a fast lap on a Qualifier might just be doing so to help their prospects for next season. Whatever Spies is doing next season, I am sure is already in the bag! He is purely concentrating on winning this championship. That means getting as much data as possible at the test for the Engineers to crunch and make decisions and revisions as necessary.

Kleman - Unregistered

July 17, 2009 6:03 PM

I think Ben usually doesnt Bullsh*t too much......strategy with testing changes throughout the year I dont think he really has to prove anything anymore during testing....but out of the top guys at the test Ben was the only one who didnt try the 2 qualifiers pirelli had there so.......

Jake - Unregistered

July 17, 2009 7:17 PM

I call BS on this statement!

"I also live in Texas and can concur on the heat thing. You can fry an egg on the pavement here."

I've read your posts Ian S. and there is no way you are from Texas!!

biteme - Unregistered

July 17, 2009 8:38 PM

It is called testing for a reason, working on set up, testing new parts. it makes no difference where Ben is on the 2 day test.
Who the hell cares how hot is in Texas ?

1 2  »