WSBK » Fabrizio targets victory at 'favourite track'

El Bigonio

July 22, 2009 6:55 PM

To his credit Fabrizio has upped his game slightly this year. If not for Spies he might be the stand out for 2009. Unfortunately I think that unless Spies and Haga have difficulties then he wont realistically win again this year. But thats the whole story of this season. The only way this season has even been a contest has been that either Spies or Haga has had problems. Guess that's why they race!

slammy - Unregistered

July 22, 2009 7:39 PM

Have to give credit to Fabrizio. I dont think his seat is in jeapordy with the way hes been riding. Who else other than Haga and Spies have outrun him this year?

wr86 - Unregistered

July 22, 2009 8:12 PM

Jonny Rea - Misano, really showed his form under serious pressure.

While Fabs has certainly done very well this year you have to keep in mind he's riding last years world championship winning bike that has been completely developed and tested in battle (his 2nd year on the bike & team).

In other words he should be at the very least in 3rd place overall. I think we all might be giving him too much credit by comparing this years results to what he's accomplished in the past.

Put Rea, Haslam or either of the Max's on the Duc and they would beat him. IMO

Spinach - Unregistered

July 22, 2009 8:37 PM

I think Fabs has been riding great. As mentioned, if not for Haga and Spies (and Max being out so much) he might be leading this thing. Also, giving Ben and Haga so much pressure for most of the race distance is something very few have accomplished, and only Fabs on a consistent basis.

All in all, no excuses, he is doing well, but clearly 3rd best in this series. No other rider has consistently challenged (Haslam would be closest in my opinion).

As to other riders, Smrz is drooling for that other Duc seat and might well get if Haga resigns at year's end.

Facts are facts though, should Ben take the lead this weekend, watch for our old Haga back!

KTMKen - Unregistered

July 22, 2009 11:14 PM

Edward, unfortunately there are a lot of people out here on Crash who are still in denial about Spies. If he'd won 14 out of 18 races at this point, as we know he was in a position to, there would still be the nay-sayers.

Spies will go to another track (Brno) he's never seen before, and win again. And at Nurburgring there will again be the thumbs down to Ben, I guess because he's an American. But he will show them up.

I predicted a Spies double at Donington and guess what - he delivered. Where are all his critics NOW? My guess is that "they" are hoping his bike breaks down again!

I can't wait for Sunday's races!

Matafuko - Unregistered

July 23, 2009 12:22 AM

"...I guess because he's an American."

I don't like Spies, but not because he's American, I couldn't give a monkey's what nationality he is. I don't like him because I can't warm to him. I find him to be very mechanical, monotonous, even boring. Some might say that's a good thing but not me. I'm not a fan of his fake(?) smiles either. He's the type of guy that gives a quick smile and then instantly it returns to a sort of, 'Hmmm, I'm bored' look. I like my racers to have a bit of flair and a fun attitude. That's why I didn't see any problem with Fabrizio's wave at Spies in Monza.

That said, Spies is probably a really nice, fun guy, but that doesn't come across.

Fast, I'll give him that!

slammy - Unregistered

July 23, 2009 3:52 AM

@Matafuko,
If you've ever met Spies you would know that during those lame little interviews with the crooked tooth old fart holding the microphone... That he is bored... Thats exactly what i like about him. To each his own and i agree on the flair but theres no waving in racing :D You fly the bird or nothing at all

1 2  »