WSBK » Yamaha - WSBK 2010 Preview

Crash.net looks ahead to the opening round of the 2010 World Superbike Championship by discussing the chances of each manufacturer - next up, Yamaha...

Southerner

February 23, 2010 2:34 PM

Lynch me on this one if you like. The Yamaha was pretty average last year. Ben was the difference.
I'm not knocking JT or Cal, but YAMAHA will have to give them a LOT more,if they hope to win the title again this year.

Yamaha-Fan. - Unregistered

February 23, 2010 2:39 PM

The Yamaha last year was better then the Ducati in 2009 thats my opinion but I hope Yamaha has a good season in 2010 with Toseland and Crutchlow on board and hopefully no chatter problems.

DarrelJ

February 23, 2010 3:18 PM

The 09, 10 R1 is a "Tank". One of the worst handling bikes on the Grid. The R1 will not even be a top 5 bike at the end of the year. Even with two very good, very talented riders. I'm sure they will try very hard but there is only so much you can do. This season is going to have other manufactures re-thinking a move to the big band/offset firing order heavy Crankshaft.

Doxa - Unregistered

February 23, 2010 4:07 PM

If only JT could have Cal's engineer the results would surely come quickly. Yamaha needs to give him the tools so he can win the championship!!

Southerner

February 23, 2010 5:25 PM

Listen, I'm not knocking Yamaha. In GP the M1 is king of the hill and they won just about every title there was to be won in 2009, but the R1, well...
For me Ben's title winning comment at Portimao was so brilliantly understated...bla bla ...thanks etc..
"Oh yeah, and I'd also like to thank Yamaha for giving me the **** I needed, to win with".
Hope I have not scuppered Ben's access to what the Fiat boys get this year in GP.

KTMKen

February 23, 2010 6:45 PM

Breitling, I don't think Southerner said the bike was cr@p, and Ben did make that wisecrack about it. Don't forget Sykes couldn't even podium on that bike.

It is now 2010 and the R1 has 8hp more, and a host of other enhancements. Maybe that extra power this year is amplifying some handling defects, or maybe Yamaha took a step backwards somewhere.

Then again, maybe the '09 R1 chattered too, but with Spies unicycling into the corners on the front wheel, he was able to overcome it! :) :) :)

Breitling

February 23, 2010 7:03 PM

KTMken, his first post.

The Yamaha was pretty average last year. Ben was the difference.
Posted by Southerner.

And all other titles...that was Ben undercover? :)

It is way to early to say that the new Yamaha is not so good...true, the times on PI were bad but they were tests.
Sunday after 2 races we know much more!

Southerner

February 23, 2010 7:21 PM

Thanks for that KTMKen, I'm not in the business of marketing motorcycles. Breitling, Yamaha just creamed everyone last year... I agree.
However, the fact is that Yamaha have an entry of 2 on Sunday, last time I checked.

Tony G - Unregistered

February 23, 2010 8:08 PM

The new bike is uncomparible chassis wise to 09. Has chatter in half the track. Doxa, think if you check the enginneers JT's crew chief has won more championships. i believe he worked with camier last year. so at a guess i think he knows the bike!! Riders are the ones that need up there game!!

1 2  »