WSBK » Fabrizio: I'd be happy if qualifying tyres were scrapped

Having struggled to make the best of his pace over a single lap, Michel Fabrizio admits he would like to see qualifying tyres scrapped.

Sick Cylinder - Unregistered

July 07, 2011 12:29 PM

I would also like to see the second race grid based on fastest laps from race one - that system works extremely well in BSB. (provided the current BSB loophole of pitting in race one to change to a sticky tyre if out of the points was barred).

jake - Unregistered

July 07, 2011 1:18 PM

I have never been a fan of qualifying tires but as long as everyone has access to the same quality of tires (which wasn't always the case) I don't see how it favors one rider over another. Everyone is in the same boat and it's not a question of luck. If he can't qualify that is his problem.

@sick cylinder....I've personally never liked systems that punished success and rewards failures, or is overly complexed just for the sake of being complex. Qualifying sets the grids for the races and I don't understand the need to do all these gimmicks aimed to make the race artificially exciting. I just people would just race and get on with and stop looking for excuse for them not getting the job done.

190mph - Unregistered

July 07, 2011 5:44 PM

jake, how about this then - first race results decide second race starting grid - a format that rewards success. I always thought that was the logical way to decide a second race starting grid rather than the fastest lap system thats been adopted by BSB.

Jake - Unregistered

July 07, 2011 6:38 PM

I guess it really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I mean why can't the grid just be set with qualifying and be through with setting the grid? To me anything else is just trying to predetermine the out come of a race. Everyone has the same chance to get a good grid spot. Everyone has the same chance to win the race. Why not just let the outcome be decided by the best package of the day. To me there is nothing exciting about how the grid is set and changing it up between the races. Just seems like an excuse to appease racers/teams who didn't get the job done in qualiying or the race. again it's just my opinion.

wr86 - Unregistered

July 07, 2011 7:54 PM

It's fine if he would like to do away with qualifiers but to say it would eliminate "the element of luck" is not a true statement. There is no luck involved with the current system, but skill and tactics.

Can you stay near the top on the hard tyres the 1st round or do you use the softs early to guarantee a top 8 but are than left out of shot at pole.

I think it adds something to qualifying. I remember Spies sometimes would save both sets of qualifiers for the final round just in case he needed a 2nd run at pole. Nothing lucky about it.

johnny Boy - Unregistered

July 07, 2011 8:24 PM

Well, i guess he didn't want to eliminate that "element of luck" while he was on factory Xerox Ducati team, right?

At least he never complained about it back then.
It might have something to do with his suzuki's performance on qualifying, rather than the ability to ride of the guy, wich is not in doubt.

Qualifying well is part of being a more complete rider, and it adds excitment to the sport, the way i see it. I've watched some of the best qualifying sessions of my life on the 2009 season, while Ben elbowz Spies was in wsbk, and it was great fun, even more than some races... So I disagree with Michel. Sorry mate. but guess what: not being a qualifier has never stopped a rider from having succes. Just look at the example of VR46. He was never a top qualifier, and has achieved great success in races, so don't sweat it, you'll get there if you really want to. Good luck.

shamarone

July 08, 2011 2:38 AM

here's a thought, maybe suzuki could stop ****in' around in grandprix and start focusing on WSBK where for a fraction of the cost they could be to "winning ways" almost inside of a single weekend. how about that...?

F. W. - Unregistered

July 08, 2011 4:12 AM

When using the sticky quali tires, does the bike have to be set up with different suspension settings ?

If so, it seems like a lot of work to go through to find the optimum setting for a tire you're not going to race on.

A team may qualify well on the stickies but have a poor set-up on race tires and just go backwards once the lights go green.

SKiwi1 - Unregistered

July 08, 2011 8:26 AM

Fabrizio always seems to have his best results at Brno so I hope he can continue that and add some joy to his season. I also hope someone can stop Biaggi though - Melandri maybe up for it? Ducati's always used to go well there to. Carlos be able to keep up with the Aprilia perhaps?
Here's to a great race weekend either way though :)