WSBK » Lowes WSBK experience ends in double DNF

Alex Lowes's stint as a Castrol Honda rider comes to a frustrating climax as he retires from both races at Silverstone.

Caveman - Unregistered

August 02, 2011 9:59 AM

All I can say is: BAD MANAGEMENT. Who advised Alex to accept the offer of the Castrol Honda ride, because they need to be shot! Firstly, he just stepped off an evo-spec bike in BSB and is learning to get to grips with a "factory spec" Kawasaki...with very mixed results. Jumping onto yet another bike is not going to help that transition in any way. Secondly, It also pisses off your Japanese employers, who value brand loyalty more than we do here in the west. Thirdly, there is the potential for injury (which can ruin your domestic championship hopes. Fourthly, the SBK Honda is probably currently the worst performing bike on the grid (Honda are in last place in the manufacturers standings) so the chances of putting in a performance that will grab the headlines are about as high as the chances of Greece ever paying its debts...zero.
A young rider with talent being sacrificed on the alter of his management's conceit.

SuperSykes - Unregistered

August 02, 2011 10:10 AM

Who says it was his management? Maybe he just wanted to ride the bike. He is a stand in at MSS so no contract ties. MSS (I think, don't claim to be an expert) dont have massive ties with Kwaka Japan as it seems to be Birdy's team that has a close relationship with them so i'm not sure brand loyalty would come into it here but I see your point. Like a certain Japanese boss being insulted when Vale left Yamaha for Ducati

190mph - Unregistered

August 02, 2011 10:16 AM

Proof, if needed what a superb job Johnny Rea did/does on that Fireblade as the Tenkate team have been nowhere since Rea has been sidelined.

And those Lowes twins need to calm the f**k down. Both of them have been crashing far too much recently. There's no doubting the talent but it seems the attention they're getting has distracted them.

Caveman - Unregistered

August 02, 2011 10:31 AM

@SuperSykes, for your information, as far as I am aware, the bike previously ridden by Stuart Easton (and therefore I'm assuming the one ridden by Alex Lowes) is prepared by PBR to full factory spec. Gary Mason's bike is prepared by MSS. MSS are the official Kawasaki UK team, and as they are a subsidiary of the Japanese factory, by extension they are officially supported by Japan. Alex Lowes therefore needs to consider his loyalties and where he considers his long term future to lie...but that's only my opinion, and the advice I'd give him were he to ask.

@190mph...I think you have a point. "Overhype" can put too much pressure on a rider and they shouldn't start believing their own publicity!

SuperSykes - Unregistered

August 02, 2011 10:48 AM

@Caveman (good choice of name considering your blunt approach to voicing your opinion)

I think you will find the reason Birdy prepares Eastons bikes is because they have an arrangement which stems from their road racing partnership. If MSS have such fantastic factory support, why is Mason's bike not, as you put it, 'full factory spec'. This only ever happens in an instance where one rider is employed by the factory in a more satellite team - eg Simo employed by Honda but under Gresini banner on a works bike. Easton - employed by Kwaka gets support from Kwaka factory team (that's PBM incasse you haven't kept up)

As I previously stated, I don't claim to be an expert but from my time racing and being around racing (and racing alongside the last rider to step into Eastons shoes at MSS when he was injured a few years back), this is how I understand the arrangement to be.

If you have the facts (which I doubt) please feel free to enlighten me as you seem to be a far greater intellect than

Caveman - Unregistered

August 02, 2011 11:16 AM

I don't think I claimed that MSS have "fantastic factory support" (but feel free to point out where I made that statement), I merely pointed out that loyalty to KMUK is probably considered to be, by extension, loyalty to KHI. With your greater "insider knowledge" of motorcycle sport as an x-rider yourself, you'd know better than me on that point!

not his time yet - Unregistered

August 02, 2011 11:35 AM

well fk kawasaki ,the boy rode the honda,made contacts with tk which may benefit him in the future,hes not ready for this world stage,fk is he even ready for bsb yet,one things for sure he could not ride the honda fast,even after testing it,and he just crashes the kwaka in bsb, so anybody out there thinks hes in the same class as rea needs a brain transplant,rea wont be back on that shed,but people might realise how hard reas riding in getting that bike up front in wsbk,lowes made good friends at tk,you never know a 600 ride in a couple of seasons might be possible

pp916 - Unregistered

August 02, 2011 12:21 PM

Too much too soon......both the Lowes boys have masses of talent and potential but Alex in particular needs to focus on one project/bike....running at or near the back in WSB then crashing out/retiring doesn't do his reputation or moral/confidence any good.
And Sam's crash at Becketts was right under our noses, out of control and far to desperate for so early in the race, ruining Gino's prospects at the same time. '190mph' is bang on, they both need to calm down a tad and learn, the results will come with experience and without trying to force it.

roadking03 - Unregistered

August 02, 2011 2:05 PM

Both the Lowes are awesome racers,but I agree they need to settle in a little better,and stop the crashing before one of them gets hurt...I think Ellison should of stood in for Johnny Rea,and Lowes could of rode with his brother in supersport...I believe Ellison fits a SBK better...just my opinion,not sure what others think...peace 100

SuperSykes - Unregistered

August 02, 2011 3:53 PM

@Caveman

"@SuperSykes (good choice of name considering your "name dropping" style of communication)" - I'm not sure i've dropped a single name....I purposely leave names out of things so my opinions don't affect those people. If I choose to take on armchair racers or keyboard warriors such as yourself, they shouldn't have to suffer due to the ruffled feathers :-p

"I think you have confirmed my point, Alex rides a PBR racing prepared ZX10 (i.e. full factory) and Gary rides an MSS prepared bike, MSS not having full factory status and therefore not having access to the same parts as PBM. It rather confirms my point that Gary's 46 points in the last 4 rounds (since Alex joined the team) looks even better than Alex's 12 under the circumstances." - Clearly you have forgotten that Alex had never ridden a superbike until he got on the Kwaka? You could give a guy 500 horses but if he doesn't know how to handle them, he will never beat his more experienced team mate. I think he's done a pretty

1 2 3  »