WSBK » Sykes hails ‘fantastic’ maiden WSBK win

The Briton records his maiden win in 74 WSBK starts and only his second career WSBK podium, the first of which came three years ago.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

Pete - Unregistered

September 04, 2011 11:26 PM

Absolutely awesome ride by Sykes today, he stayed fast and kept it upright in very challenging conditions. Kawasaki are making a huge mistake not retaining him. Hopefully he will find a competitive ride for 2012.

ebaums - Unregistered

September 05, 2011 12:21 AM

As a huge Kawasaki fan I just want to say brave ride by Tom Sykes (not Kawasaki!) and it's a big blow to him to drop him. At the other hand even it's a win it's just another wet win won in tricky condition and I bet Kawasaki would like to see clean results in clean dry races. Also after spanish Provec takeover it's naturally logic that Lascorz is in better position and to have Melandri or de Puniet in hands I would get them (maybe Kawasaki wants to keep 3 riders with Lascorz, Melandri and de Puniet? that would be huge!) but anyway it's not fair for Sykes and I wish him a best WSBK contract he can now get (Castrol Honda? ParkinGo Yamaha?, Ducati? Aprolia?) Good luck Tom

Sweeble - Unregistered

September 05, 2011 8:02 AM

Whatever happens, I'm a big Sykes fan and am happy he's finally got a brilliant result after all his efforts. A solid end to the season should put him on the top team's shopping lists - BMW?

IOM

September 05, 2011 8:38 AM

Brilliant ride by Tom! Personally think the news of the Kawasaki/PBM split is a good thing for Tom. He's got bags of potential and should be top of the shopping lists of some top teams.

Is it me or has he got a bad case of 'farmer giles'? When Smrz poured his champagne down Grinners back he seemed to be in some discomfort!

matto3227

September 05, 2011 12:13 PM

Im'm not a Tom Sykes fan at all, i never thought he really achieved enough in BSB to merit his move to WSBK, and then in his first years again apart from a couple of flashes of raw speed he again failed to really deliver. However, his ride yesterday in those conditions was incredible. It was a well deserved victory for him and a just reward for all the effort he has put in this season.
As for the Kawasaki situation, it comes as no surprise that he is being dropped, he is not a Kawasaki rider, he is a PBM rider so he was obviously going to be the 1st to go... but they will regret this decission big time! He is the rider has developed the bike and has found a way to drag the bike to the sharp end of the grid.
As for next year, i have no doubt Tom will get the ride he needs in WSBK, however with Yamaha disapearing and the ever continuing down turn in bike numbers i feel that it will not be the ride that he now fully deserves... good luck to him!

Dangleberry - Unregistered

September 05, 2011 1:06 PM

I think Tom would be a good shout on the Alstare Suzuki if Fabrizio goes to BMW Motorad Italia as is rumoured. Tom did pretty good on what was an Evo spec Suzuki at the time to get that 2nd place at Donny in 09 and he did good at the Brands wild card that same year. He went downhill on the Yam so I doubt ParkinGo would be a good option.

Nick636

September 06, 2011 7:43 AM

@ Matto

Nice post.
I on the other hand am a Sykes fan. I was first a Kawasaki fan though. Only owned Kawasakis and I love the brand (Guess I like fighting for the underdog or something). BUT, If Sykes has to leave them I will follow him. He's a true talent, but heavily underrated. Also, he's somewhat harshly judged on that first year at Yamaha. There's a lot more to that story than what happened at the surface. Also, he did more with the OLD Kwak than anyone else came CLOSE to managing. I honestly believe in the new bikes second year things will improve a lot.

I have just read that there are ongoing talks with Kawasaki and they're suddenly keen to keep him involved. But if he leaves there are a few good options for him. I believe he, like Rea, could be one of few who could tame the Honda, also, Suzuki (IF they stay involved). I believe BMW are career killers at the moment, but would laugh so hard if he out performed Haslam on one.

Holding thumbs you get a solid, competitive ride n