WSBK » Toseland forced to quit racing due to injury

James Toseland has endured a torrid 2011 campaign since injuring his wrist, prompting him to call time on a hugely successful motorcycling career

Filter Comments: All | Registered

Mad Phil - Unregistered

September 09, 2011 11:59 AM

Those 2 big falls banging his head so badly have affected him badly in my opinion,a rider that had a stellar first season in MotoGp doesnt go from that to struggling...And he is not an awkward type of rider that would be affected by a change of tyre brand.....Then coming back to WSB and not performing-after running Bayliss ragged 2 years before!!!

Like Criville,Beattie and J M Bayle before him would testify,a bad knock to the head takes a long time to get back from..

Oh well JT-i for one enjoyed watching your career.These past 2 years? not so much,so i am glad you've called it a day with 2 World titles under your belt-All the best mate..

jeff - Unregistered

September 09, 2011 12:01 PM

Gutted to hear of his retirement. I met a few years ago at Donny realy nice bloke. All the knockers no doubt they'll be many when you've won two world superbike titles come back and say he was no good at his job

Cubikrube

September 09, 2011 12:02 PM

Sorry to hear this but not at all surprised. Some riders just don't get the luck when it comes to injury...a certain Mr Kagayama used to fall off and break something pretty much every time. Last couple of years have been a nightmare for JT.
As for the haters on here, hope you are happy now...thing is not one of you could hold a candle to JT...and thats from someone who watched him take his 2nd WSB title by just 2 points from my man Nori(still gutted).
I wish you all the best JT, great rider and a top bloke...plenty of life left to live, enjoy it

not a fan, not a hater - Unregistered

September 09, 2011 12:04 PM

He peaked in WSB and was shown to be well short of the mark in motogp. Talked up to much and with the keyboarding and too much self-belief I am happy to see him gone. Hope Crutchlow can fare better but unfortunately I think not.

dave from the don - Unregistered

September 09, 2011 12:06 PM

Balls. I was always hoping to see him prove all the doubters wrong, there were times last year on the R1 when he looked excellent.

I guess he was never going to get a decent WSB ride anyway next year. Wonder if his girlfriend might have had a bit of clout here, it's not like they need the money is it! Still, at least his wrist should recover in retirement as well!

All the best JT

Marcster Chief - Unregistered

September 09, 2011 12:08 PM

Have always been a fan of James it's just a shame i never got to see the James Toseland of '04 or '07 again. Love seeing riders with the same grit as guys like Foggy and Jezza McWilliams and JT had it spades and if his haters disagree F*** yourself.

Liam48

September 09, 2011 12:13 PM

This terrible news... i remember meeting James at the Ducati shop in Glasgow in 2005 as a 13 year old... he was brilliant to talk to he went around everyone talking to them individually and he came and sat with us asking us if we raced (which i did at the time) and he was great to answer any questions it was like talking to a friend... he was very polite, signed posters (got mine framed on my wall) and got pictures taken with him... stand out person... great rider, fantastic personality... this is a blow for the sport... thanks for the memories James you'll be sadly missed.

ebaums - Unregistered

September 09, 2011 12:21 PM

That is a sad info. I haven't been a Toseland's close fan but admired his job and commitment. Maybe just his pushing duo with bike & piano didn't work out in my opinion but the racing side was pretty impressive. Still his Tech3 days especially first season was impressive and Crutchlow did nothing yet compared to James. Probably Mr.Edwards and Co. are happy to hear this retirement 'yep! he got what he deserved to trying to deceive me!' but what it was really only them both knows. I've never got the sense what it was to hating and slamming so much Toseland during his last years as rider. Hope he fortunately up his quality piano Yamaha snd live in peace with Katie Melua. Two WDC titles! People, what an impressive career it was!

Somersetlemon - Unregistered

September 09, 2011 12:26 PM

Had been half expecting this, but it's still sad. It is always good to see a great racer retire more or less in one piece though and he is young enough and bright enough for a second career which is good. I have followed him since scooter days and I think first saw him race at around 14 years old at 3 Sisters in 80 cc. The best time for me was on Mick Corrigan's yellow 600, he was so much better than the field, and progressing so quickly. Never had much luck with injuries and I think did exceptionally well to come away with two world championships. Don't forget he did his ankles in WSS, and also broke a femur in BSB I think. Best of luck JT with whatever you decide to do (and I hope it is still in the public domain).

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  »