WSBK » Toseland forced to quit racing due to injury

James Toseland has endured a torrid 2011 campaign since injuring his wrist, prompting him to call time on a hugely successful motorcycling career

Filter Comments: All | Registered

Richard Mushet

September 09, 2011 12:33 PM

Already posted words to this effect with the link to his site on my Facebook, but JT was a credit to bike racing with his work ethic and how he dealt with fans. A gent off the circuit and an animal on it. Just ask Laconi, Bayliss, Haga etc, whom he all beat at their prime.

I was looking forward to seeing him maybe return to BSB for a season or two as he started to wind down, but sadly it won't be. I'm genuinely upset about his premature retirement.

Whatever the trolls might say about him, he's got two WSBK titles to his name and two seasons of GP rides when it's the toughest it has been to get a ride.

Sick Cylinder - Unregistered

September 09, 2011 12:35 PM

It is always sad when a rider has their career cut short by injury and it can be very hard to adjust and come to terms with a life without racing.

I wish you all the best James in your new life - you brought a lot of pleasure to a lot of people with your racing. I was at Brands cheering for you with my daughter and neice when you did the double and you gave us some great memories. I also clearly remember some of your great rides over the years and being amazed by your performance on a 600 at Brands in (I think) '96.

All the best.

Flossy - Unregistered

September 09, 2011 12:37 PM

Gutted for the bloke a true gent and up to 2007 one of the finest super bike riders out there, was at donna that year when he was on for the double before his bike let go was also at brands the same year what an awesome weekend, nothing has come close since on British soil, hope to see you doing some sort of parade lap on your old blade to give you a proper send off

McbainUK

September 09, 2011 12:39 PM

Already posted my thoughts on MCN but what the hell.
Followed him since seeing him dominate CB500 cup (I still laugh when I think back to seeing him fall off after doing a wheel in celebration! at Brands I think).

Managed to see him race a couple of times at Oulton Park in the 2000 title decider on the Paul Bird Vimto bike. He was massively popular even then after two learning seasons in World Supersport, he got as many cheers as Hodgson and Walker.

Also saw him race at Silverstone in his 2007 title year. Ok he fell off, but battled back to 8th.

No one can ever take away those two WSBK titles, the 2nd being especially sweet beating Haga, Biaggi and the great Bayliss.

Those preseason crashes in 2009 really knocked the stuffing out of him in my opinion. He showed moments of his old brilliant self on the Yam at Monza, but sadly the last few years haven't gone right for him.

A great Superbike racer who's provided myself and many others with some classic entertainment. All the best J

Digger - Unregistered

September 09, 2011 12:56 PM

R.I.P??? he has only retired from racing!!!!

Very sad news though, certainly our best racer in recent times, who i believe would have done the business in MOTOGP, had he been given a 3rd and 4th year.

A genuine nice bloke too, i hope the wrist doesn't also prevent him from playing the keyboards.

Good luck J.T in whatever comes next.

JT's mum - Unregistered

September 09, 2011 1:10 PM

I hope all you negative people are happy!!! Thanks to your awful comments my lovely son couldn't even get a ride in BSB!!!!

Luckily he can still play the piano and some bloke down the way has offered him a full time ride delivering pizzas!!! :O

SBKer - Unregistered

September 09, 2011 1:11 PM

I was wondering if there was more to it than this. When he was interviewed for MotoGP on the BBC recently he really didn't look or sound himself and almost looked like he'd had a minor stroke or got bells palsey.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  »