WSBK » Rea irked by speculation over Lascorz injuries

'I'll just cross my fingers until something official comes out' - Jonathan Rea

MM - Unregistered

April 17, 2012 7:11 PM

I agree that any media outlet which uses such incidents to generate 'news' based on empty speculation instead of simply wishing Lascorz well, publishing official hospital reports and awaiting reliable updates, deserves condemnation.

Sick Cylinder - Unregistered

April 17, 2012 7:23 PM

like the reporting to which these comments refer, this is a non-story and would therefore be better not reported.

Come on Crash, I know it's a slow news day, but surely you can do better than to repeat non-news like this!

Liam48

April 17, 2012 8:02 PM

@Slick Cylinder You're right but then aren't you just as wrong to have read the story as crash is for posting the story up today as am I and everyone else is for reading it too... it seems a bit hypocritical.

I hope the official news about Joan is not as bad as everyone is making it out to be... fingers crossed.

Sick Cylinder - Unregistered

April 17, 2012 8:33 PM

No - I'm not being hypocritical Liam - I read a story headlined "Rea irked by..."

Now, no offense to Johnny Rea, but I very much doubt "Irked" is even part of his vocabulary. he expressed concen about speculation regarding the extent of Joan's injuries by some parts of the media. I haven't joined in that speculation.

There are lots of things Crash could do on a day when there is no news rather than this kind of non-story.

For example: a series of articles on what happened in bike racing this week 5 years, 10 years, 20 years ago. maybe some interviews with retired racers / team managers with some quotes from their autobiographies. historical pictures.

Perhaps a series on bikes which pre-dated CRT.

There are literally countless things that a journalist with interest in the sport could write about to fill a day on which there is no new news, but this kind of stuff is just manufactured tittle tattle.

John - Unregistered

April 17, 2012 9:05 PM

@Sick Cylinder Couldn't agree more mate. Whilst the condition of Joan Lascorz is a concern for all of us who follow the sport and everyone wishes him a speedy return and a full recovery, this article isn't even about updates to his condition - it's about a very valid and supported opinion (but nonetheless one riders personal opinion) on a very unfortunate racing / testing incident that occured a week or two ago. Until there is some real news regarding Lascorz's condition, I cannot see any point in manufacturing 'news' about whether a fellow rider is 'irked' by something he read in the press...??
Next we'll be seeing articles about Jon Kirkham or Gary Mason being 'miffed' about the amount of traffic there was on the M25 whilst travelling to Thruxton for last weekends BSB round... I mean FFS. Is this all there is to report on ?

Liam48

April 17, 2012 9:11 PM

@Slick Cylinder now that you've said why you read the thread I completely understand, sorry for jumping to conclusion, I'm sure that's wy most people read it as well.

Posting interviews by retired rider from about 10 years ago isn't a bad idea.

Oli - Unregistered

April 17, 2012 9:19 PM

Whilst I can understand Rea's condemnation of the media, I also think speculation is an entirely natural bi-product of concern for the rider's condition.

No one would condone a publication attempting to sell more magazines or papers by whipping up rumours about serious injuries, but in this case it's clear that the rider concerned is seriously hurt and people want information because they care about him.

Oli

moto - Unregistered

April 17, 2012 10:44 PM

Posted by Sick Cylinder

The Cookstown 100 for example. Not something I'm familiar with but now that you mention it, the Cookstown was on Eurosport recently, haven't seen anything about it here though.

kiwibob

April 18, 2012 1:27 AM

Crash you could have one saying from any other rider thank god its not me as whenever you see an accident on track thats your thought that could be me but for the grace of god or luck. Its a fact and yes i have raced and seen accidents. Best of luck to joan

1 2  »