WSBK » Joan Lascorz speaks of accident for first time

Five months after being paralysed in an accident during World Superbike testing at Imola, Kawasaki rider Joan Lascorz has broken his silence about his injuries for the first time...

Filter Comments: All | Registered

AJS - Unregistered

August 24, 2012 9:31 PM

How anyone posting on here can suggest , Joan should accept what happened as part of his job, or liken his situation to a soldier returning from a war zone with injuries, is totally beyond me.

He has every right to feel bitter!

There are a number of individuals who's job it was to make sure the track was as safe as possible, they obviously failed.

I wish you all the best for your future Joan.

me being ignorant - Unregistered

August 24, 2012 9:56 PM

@me

"Yes you have been dealt a rubbish hand but no more so then the lads coming home from Afghanistan. You knew and accepted the risks. "

I wouldn't compare a motorcycle racer working for a living with a whole bunch of people who decide to join an institution which profits from war then go invade countries and suck their resources dry and on top of that brake every human right law known to mankind.

Make a smarter comparison next time.

sloppyfingz - Unregistered

August 24, 2012 10:19 PM

Please don t derail the thread. Do not feed him. I did and i shouldn t have

If you google image joan lascorz llovera you can see some recent pics of Juanito at Instituto Guttman in Barcelona, with friend and teraplegicv rally driver Albert Llovera.

Nick - Unregistered

August 24, 2012 10:33 PM

I watched Joan win the super sport race at Valencia in 2006. I was above the paddock, quite liked the guy but didn't really know much about him. What really impressed me was an hour after the race, he was still signing autographs. No arrogance or self importance attitude, just a genuine guy happy to be with his fans, and I have to say there were many. My respect for him was made on that day. Very sad, I hope everything works out for you Joan.

M1M - Unregistered

August 25, 2012 1:32 AM

Firstly, I wish Joan the very best as he embarks on a very tough path in his life which will require all his stubbornness and will.

I don't know whether the transcript is a translation or whether he was speaking in English, but the former is much more likely. Either way, where it states that what happened to him was a 'disgrace', the Spanish word would've been 'desgracia'. It means misfortune in Spanish, so 'disgrace' is a mistranslation, whatever the source. Words which appear similar but which have different meanings in other languages are colloquially refered to a 'false friends', because they give rise to these sorts of misunderstandings all too easily.

pcxmac - Unregistered

August 25, 2012 2:12 AM

googled it, Joan looks pretty good, especially for someone who was so close to death not too long ago.

as for being 'bitter' well pi$$ed is more like it, and its clear from just watching the racing on the TV that the track is very unsafe in certain turns, the fact that Joan ended up in a concrete wall, which ended up breaking his bike in two, says a lot about the level of safety awareness at that track.

« 1 2 3 4  »