WSBK » Max Biaggi announces retirement

Newly crowned double World Superbike champion Max Biaggi announces retirement.

shaken - Unregistered

November 07, 2012 12:55 PM

A bit of a surprise but is it really unexpected? Although a vastly experienced rider, the risks are nonetheless there and he has called time just right. As its said, better to go out a winner than a loser. Racing will lose one of its most colorful characters but racing and life goes on.

Macca - Unregistered

November 07, 2012 1:00 PM

Max my introduction to bikes or Moto GP was at Donnington I am not sure what year it was Rossi was on a Repsol Honda and you were riding a red Yamaha. I said to my mates who are you supporting and they said 46 so I said boring this guys look good ................... and I was hooked. I have never ridden a bike but love watching it I am a big fan of yours and would just like to thank you for all the great memories and although I am devastated that you are retiring I would like to wish you all the best in the future.

A legend who really did it his way.

grantrd - Unregistered

November 07, 2012 1:07 PM

My hero! One of the greatest riders of all time....so glad he has finished his career on a high. I have been his biggest fan since he won his first race at Kyalami in 92. I have cheered I have cried but I have never doubted the mans ability to ride any motorcycle as fast as it will go. A riders greatness is measured by their longevity at the top and this man has been at the top since the beggining and on every bike he has ridden....cheers Max!

Darkwaknight

November 07, 2012 1:28 PM

I feel Split in the one Hand SAD to not be able to watch a true Legend and hero since I was a kid. Watching him on the 250's inspired me to ride a bike, I still now admire his Graceful effortless style as he looks like he is just gliding around yet breaking lap records.

But on the other Hand happy that he has retired on the top of his game, WC (6 times) in 2 classes and the only guy to win on his big boy debut in Both GP's and WSBK.

Ciao Max! thanks for the years and memories! A True Motorcycle Great and Legend!!

Mats - Unregistered

November 07, 2012 1:59 PM

Sorry grantr. Meant to press agree, but pushed the wrong button.

Been a fan of Max since i started watching motorcycle racing at the age of 13, and I am sad to see him go now. I have watched every race of Max since the start of the 2003 season, and it has been a pleasure. Lots of highs and lows in results and emotionally. Max the racer and Max the person have teached me many lessions in life, witch I am highly grateful for.

Sad to see him go, but no racer can go on forever.

FORZA MASSIMILIANO BIAGGI! THE ROMAN EMPERROR

papi - Unregistered

November 07, 2012 2:01 PM

Max could arguably have been 500cc world champ at his first attempt had he been given the same spec Honda and special, flown in overnight michelins as Doohan.

RSMick

November 07, 2012 2:19 PM

I am not sure Doohan had overnighters in 98, Biaggi's ego got in the way in that year. His race at Catalunya was crazy.
His best year was 97 on the Malboro Kenemoto Honda 250, to prove it wasn't just the Aprilia. Particular after his high profile move to Rothmans Honda where rookie Harada just slaughtered him and the others.

Max always seemed to be riding with a monkey on his back in his top class years with Doohan saying he should have been sponsored by Kleenex. The Repsol year just summed him up.

Gaz - Unregistered

November 07, 2012 2:44 PM

Max's Speech.

"I really wanted this press conference because today is an important moment for Biaggi as a person, he abandons this world as world champion, a man of sport, to make way for a Biaggi that maybe very few people know really well" the Italian rider declared. "I chose Vallelunga because everything began here for me. It began by chance many years ago, a sort of magic world for a young guy who had absolutely nothing to do with the world of bikes, but then something sparked off in me and afterwards it became a dream that has taken me a very long way ".

"All of my life in the last twenty years has been part of a very contorted world, full of joy and difficult moments, ups and downs, but what made the real difference was the passion that has pushed me towards always giving my best and my all. This passion for racing has taken me onto some great achievements. I have had many companions along the way, but one that truly stands out is Aprilia, with whom together we have written so

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  »