WSBK » Superstock class to be phased out?

The Superstock 1000 and 600 classes could be dropped from 2014 to allow the Superbike class to assume new 'stock-inspired' regulations.

studs

January 07, 2013 9:58 PM

As an aside, given your reply to @sick, it seems you still haven't grasped the enormity of the global slump and its effect on capital expenditure (venture or otherwise) and the relative minority nature of our beloved sport.

All I can say is you're going to wait an awful long time for the world wide economy to recover enough to allow unfettered technological racing again, and you'll wait until hell freezes over for Motorcycle Racing to garner mainstream interest and the massive revenues that only such interest could generate.

jimmy - Unregistered

January 07, 2013 10:06 PM

Just make Superstock closer to 'Stock' and Superbikes/Supersports closer to 'Superstock'. Racing in the lesser classes is great. The biggest part of the WSBK teams' budget is travelling and logistics anyway. Seems like Dorna does not want to solve the true problems...

Skiwi 1 - Unregistered

January 07, 2013 10:55 PM

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but I can't be ****d reading 10 pages of comments to see if it has.

Simply comparing the Supersport 600 races at SBK meetings and Moto2 races at MotoGP meetings might provide a bit of an insight. Moto2 engines are little more than stock CBR600's whereas the SS600 are tuned to buggery and have all the flash gear. Moto2 races win hands down in entertainment value anyday.

Md Zane - Unregistered

January 07, 2013 10:57 PM

Maybe if WSB still raced the 750s there wouldn't be sutch a clash with motogp,anyway what use is 190bhp bike on the road.

unfortunatley for me I'm a low wage earner and I simply can't afford to go to races anymore,all that empty grass ye see at the races is where the likes of me use to stand.
Doesn't look good on the TV when theres no crowd to cheer on there heroes so whats the chance of sponsors wanting to invest into something that has no atmosphere.

Max had 40 engines so what,if I had to buy 1 it would cost me 100,000 hey but they build them so whats to stop them pulling the engine down after a race, sticking new liners n pistons and checking the crank and gear box, probably not that expensive now eh.

@ Studs

What folks tend to forget is that there aren't armies of people burning $100 bills. The wealth is mostly still out there ... it's just that it's changed hands.
I'm in sports marketing ... & major clients with $100mil marketing budgets still calculate above & below the line spend on a 'cost per person' basis.
When you see a client happy to spend $18Mil on a partial season in NASCAR, then $2Mil for a full season in WSBK is like the bargain of the century ... but Dorna arent getting that message out to the people who make the decisions & sign the cheques.

As tough as the economic climate is, saving a few pennies isnt the solution. If a team with $2Mil expenses commands sponsorship income of $4Mil, who's going to want to change anything? Teams will be lining up for a spot on the grid.

jimmy - Unregistered

January 08, 2013 12:37 AM

Skiwi 1: And WSS is by far more pure. I can tell you that our local pocket bike races offer more 'entertainment' than what most of the 'glorious' 1000cc MotoGP class can offer.

RSMick

January 08, 2013 7:29 AM

This is a world championship after all:
I don't want to sound too condescending, but if your in sports marketing that is a very blinkered outlook on sponsorship and finance in general, maybe why USA is in meltdown after lecturing every other country.
Its what you get for that 2m, and I can tell you from experience, the difference between the value of return from WSB and GP sponsorship and GP and sponsorship is huge, its no use blaming Dorna for WSB lack of money they have inherited it. If you visit the different championships as a guest you will see what I mean.
I thought without his sponsors Lewis Hamilton would be sweeping up outside Macdonalds and a Vodaphone contract was all I needed in life. I thought without Shell the Ducati would be at push bike speed and without Tissot Nicky Haydens heart would stop. Oh and Progea gave me a cap and Effenbert try to sell me a bottle of beer and an out of shape polo shirt.

@ RSMick

I dont want to sound condescending ...
But you obviously have an agenda & some association with Dorna / MotoGP that you jump to their defense whenever they are called into question on here.

My views on the subject aren't blinkered, but this is a forum with limited space. I could write you a whole thesis on the problems, but when you cut it down to the bone ... Dorna have been in charge of MotoGP for ages & the sport is no better for it - even during the years where money was flush.

If F1, the PGA tour, etc were run like Dorna run MotoGP, they would also be in sh*t. Their standard "go to" to try improve the sport has always been to change the rules.

WSBK has just seen 2-3 brilliant years of racing, so the sporting regs are not at fault. Dorna just needs to find a way to sell that package now, coz it's already a winner.

MotoGP regs at the moment are a complete shambles though. You'd need a second hand car salesman to sell that package to the world media. Like him or not,

« 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  »