WSBK » Sykes fastest in Spain, says Kawasaki

'I would like to thank the team and Kawasaki because our test schedule has been very good and all the time we have been moving forward' - Tom Sykes

Filter Comments: All | Registered

Sootmonkey - Unregistered

January 24, 2013 10:43 AM

Interesting that Kawasaki chose to test without Transponders actuated. Either they weren't confident that 2013 changes were going to put them on the pace or they were so confident they didn't want to show their hand. Either way I'm sure Grinner will wring the Kwaks neck as usual and be there or thereabouts. Let's just hope this year they've overcome the tyre degradation problems!

Nick636

January 24, 2013 12:10 PM

@ sootmonkey

Agreed. Going on their results from the latter parts of last season, they made steady progress with tyre life. I think they chose not to carry them (as they have in the past) just for the sake of testing for themselves and not the public.

@ BMWSBK

That is a bold statement... With a full year's development under MOTOCARD'S banner, I can see this Kwak being a beast right out the blocks. Tom also showed on a few occasions last year that he can match and pass Melandri. I definitely think it'll be between those two. I ALSO CAN'T WAIT TO SEE DAVIES vs. BAZ!!! Two guys in their second years. Young. Tall. FAST!

THIS CHAMPIONSHIP WILL BE A THRILLER!

Nick636

January 24, 2013 12:11 PM

PS. Tom WILL get the double at Monza this year.

PPS. I see the BMW fans are out in force. At least I'm sure there's one thought we ALL share: "BRING ON THE RACING DAMIT!!!!"

Sweeble - Unregistered

January 24, 2013 12:27 PM

We know the lap times are there Tom, but how about the tyre management or race strategy?

If he can find some way to manage the tyres so that he's got some left at the end of the race then he should be favourite for the title. And what then? MotoGP?

Nick636

January 24, 2013 1:00 PM

@ sweeble

I actually think he COULD cut it in MatoGP... Maybe be part of Kawasaki's development and move with their return? Who knows.. My fanboy dreams...

As for tyre management, I think since the electronic age there is a lot more to the Tyres than just rider. And again, we saw him flourish at Brono, pushing Marco all the way. I really do think they're almost there... I guess we'll see.

DEFINITELY, as his fans were saying in 2010, 2011, and 2012, the most underrated rider on the grid, now hopefully the haters' eyes have been opened...

Sweeble - Unregistered

January 24, 2013 3:58 PM

@Nick636, I have always been a fan of Toms, but I think his problem was coming into WSB as team mate to Ben Spies. BS' achievements that year were so great that it made Toms only good year look bad. It seems to me that Tom has always been a rider who builds and learns rather than arriving with a splash. He did that as team mate to Shakey in BSB and he seems to be doing that in WSB. Obviously I'm hoping for the title this season, but my 2 doubts are, how much tyre he has at the end and that Tom has as yet not shown himself to be a rider who enjoys a scrap. I want to see Tom scrap like Johnny Rea does. Fingers crossed.

another round - Unregistered

January 24, 2013 4:31 PM

Just make sure those radiator hoses are on good and tight, and don't have any of those pansies that are miles behind you raise up there arms because of a few drops of rain, and it should be your! And the "well Biaggi isn't there anymore" arguments won't hold up, half a point was the proof in my book. Horsey-face verses the Grinner... behold the 2013 WSBK series.

nealio

January 24, 2013 5:39 PM

You would think if Kawasaki ran without transponders they would want to keep their times secret? Giving away your times is counter productive to not showing your speed, isn't it? Tom seems very positive which is a good sign for Kawasaki and WSB.

1 2  »