WSBK » Sykes snatches lead with Imola double

Tom Sykes wins his second race of the day to move into the lead of the World Superbike Championship standings for the first time in his career...

TalentFan

July 02, 2013 9:54 AM

Sykes was imperious - very ominous for the rest of the field if he can keep that sort of form going.

Off-topic, but important for WSBK... did people get the Eurosport discussion on WSBK rule changes? I've bashed on for a while that direct Factory Teams and politics damage racing (shan't list all the why's again now) - but people have believed the hype that they were essential. They aren't.

Interesting (& the 1st time I've seen it said in public EVER, that Stuart Higgs and Tony Carter both agreed live on air that Factory influence on rules was damaging the Racing and Competiveness, & a field would be fuller and more competitive without Full Factory teams calling the shots (the same crud thats afflicting MGP basically).

Motojunky

July 02, 2013 10:55 AM

Been saying for years this guy is the real deal. Now he is leading it makes me feel great. And to get to the front in the title chase with a double win after watching Rossi win the night before at Assen, priceless.
What a weekend.

shamarone

July 03, 2013 3:31 AM

breaking news, grinner agrees with s1 and wants to stay the course with K-hev in WSBK...!!!

tells MotoGP to "pound sand" as it were... :)

"I'd be curious to try a MotoGP bike, but I would run only with a factory bike," Sykes said to Italian media. "It seems to me that there are many Spaniards in that environment, and most of the doors are closed. I had no contacts, and frankly I prefer to devote the work to be done here."

and there it is.

RSMick

July 03, 2013 5:51 AM

Breaking news S1 doesn't understand again!

"tells MotoGP to "pound sand" as it were." Nobody has asked and are unlikely to!

"It seems to me that there are many Spaniards in that environment"
There are 6 out of 24 which 4 are on factory or satellite bikes. There are 6 out of 19 Brits in WSB, 5 are on factory bikes and one is on semi factory backed (look on the web-site listed as partner).
That old Spaniards get the best bikes is getting boring, is it their fault they produce the best bike riders in the world? Honda would like nothing more than to have a Japanese rider there, its just not happening.
S1, try reading Cyclenews this month, you just might learn something.

Nick636

July 03, 2013 7:24 AM

@ RSMick

Ok, I was going on Crash's recent interview with MB.
So I may be wrong and will concede that point. But I have never read anything about this being their old GP machine.

As for Gardener saying the bike from 3 years ago (I'm assuming you mean the 2010 bike, as that was 3 years back) was the best, firstly, I have never read that anywhere, and if he indeed said that and was talking about the 2010 (Previous Gen) bike, he must have been smoking something. A bike that never won ONE SINGLE race in its tenure!?!?! Hard to believe.

TalentFan

July 03, 2013 11:12 PM

@ RSMick. You seem certain that Sykes couldn't hack it in MotoGP. Yet his lap times and race pace and the fact he ISN'T on a factory MotoGP bike suggest that he quite possibly could succeed.

I note also that you are a staunch defender of MGP and dismissive of WSBK. Some of your posts suggest bias and also that you are quite up to speed with MotoGP. You don't have some kind of vested interest in bigging up MotoGP? I note you have only taken issue with any of my posts when they are critical of MotoGP also (e.g. see CRT Rule scrapped thread)

RSMick

July 04, 2013 11:06 AM

Talent fan:
Troy Corser, Neil Hodgson, Colin Edwards,
James Toseland, Rubin Xaus, Noriuki Haga, James Toseland, only lightly better Ben Spies and Troy Bayliss. Even John Kosinski on his return. There is more.

« 1 2 3 4  »