WSBK » PICS: Tom Sykes' race comes to fiery halt

Motarde

July 23, 2013 4:45 PM

If you look carefully at the photos or watch a video you can see he actually wrenched the throttle wide open when he realised the engine had blown, ensuring it was completely trashed and that the mechanics would have difficulty diagnosing what the problem had been. Not sure how much his team appreciated that little gesture.

jchaves001

July 23, 2013 5:37 PM

Was I the only one who thinks that Tom Sykes grenade his engine on purpose while coasting off the Moscow SBK race 1? You can see him twisting the throttle on and off, perhaps in an attempt to "clear its throat" but then he held it wide open seconds before the thing exploded in a ball of fire. It's no secret that he has been unhappy with his technical team latest blunders and most likely that DNF exacerbated the situation. From my point of view, his body language showed disgust as he tossed the burning bike down to the ground. Yes, the thing was on fire but, to me, he was too pissed to worry about that.

Clive Randall

July 23, 2013 11:19 PM

Absolutely agree with you guys. He did exactly that. I thought I was the only one who was thinking that. Even in the picture added to this story he is holding it to the stop!!The way he just chucks it to ground afterwards and storms off makes it's very clear he decided to break it completely.
Interesting behaviour considering he has only just re signed with Kawasaki last week???

Einar

July 24, 2013 12:04 AM

I agree to all the above comments.

I was really surprised seeing Tom do that.
I felt it was very un-professional of him to act the way he did, specially after have just re-signed just days before, and the boss of Kawasaki talking about Tom as the new "Mr Kawasaki"
He showed the bike 100% disrespect I would have been furious if he had been my employee.
WSBK is a race on Sunday sell on Monday kind of series, and that kind of behavior by there #1 rider is not good for business

Nick636

July 24, 2013 6:26 AM

TBH I thought he had, at the time of wrenching it open, tried to "clear it's throat" as a previous poster stated.

I do think though that he was rather angry after. Also, it was spewing it's guts before he wrenched it, so I'm sure it was already fried.

As for dumping it, the thing was ON FIRE! The last place you want to be is near a burning bike that, after only 3 laps, is still FULL of fuel!

I don't blame him for being pi55ed though, JUST got the lead and loses it due to a technical fail.

MAC600

July 25, 2013 3:42 PM

What a load of tosh. You can clearly see him blip the throttle and at the very end he gives it full throttle for all of a split second. If you think that this would normally blow an engine you need to think again.

As the series runs a one bike rule, the last thing he wants is to create more work for his team.

Anyone saying anything else is living on a different planet

Clive Randall

August 05, 2013 9:37 PM

So he has now admitted he did deliberately wind the throttle to the stop in frustration and has apologised to the team. So all you nay says above - don't talk when you know nothing!!!! He's not the first guy to do it and won't be the last.