WSBK » Sykes: I wasn’t prepared to gamble

Tom Sykes loses ground in the fight for the 2013 World Superbike Championship after choosing to favour caution in tricky conditions at Silverstone.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

samh

August 04, 2013 8:15 PM

There's a balance between risking too much and not risking enough. I think it was the latter today.
He clearly had the pace to take it to every rider out there this weekend, he proved this by setting the fastest ever time on a superbike on saturday.

You don't become world champion by taking it easy.

DennisKwok

August 04, 2013 10:00 PM

Seeing as Tom lost the title by half a point last year, I hope he doesn't come to regret his cautious approach today. Personally, I thought it was very dissappointing to see him not challenging at the front when things got slippy. It was his bloody home round for crying out loud and a lot people would have paid to see him take a win or at least battle for a podium, intead of tootling around for minor points.

Others may disagree, but I'd rather see Tom bin it fighting for the win rather than pussying around. Guintoli was racing injured, but he still laid it on the line, as that's what racers do!

I lost some of my respect for Tom today.

Kwack636R

August 05, 2013 4:44 AM

You don't become world champion by taking it easy, but you also don't become world champion by stuffing it in the gravel and injuring yourself. Just ask Dani and Jorge...

Lets resume normal service at the front after the break Tom!

PatrickD

August 05, 2013 7:32 AM

There's a lot more to crashing a bike than losing out on points, people!
Have you considered injuries? There are a lot of naive comments here. Slide off, knacker your wrist/shoulder and its not just points here that are scuppered.

neil hodge

August 05, 2013 9:56 AM

I wasnt impressed by tom today, he says he wants a top 5 ride in motogp but theres no way he's goin to get one with rides like that! You never see lorenzo finishing in 11th no matter what the conditions are like (unless he has a problem of some sort off course)

Don-R

August 05, 2013 11:12 AM

@ neil hodge

Tom says he wants a MotoGP ride? Really?

Last I heard he had no ambitions at all towards MotoGP and was more than happy to sign up with the Kawasaki WSBK team for another year.

Roundiniho

August 05, 2013 11:20 AM

I agree with the above. Toms made some silly decisions in the past few weeks. The first was Russia when he decided to blow his bike up (watch the replay and his right hand, he gives it an absolute fist-full when the bike give's up on him).

And then yesterday at Silverstone, he was presented with a spot of rain (mental rain as Hodgson called it) and backs off so much that he drops out of the top 10....

I want him to be champ, but, I do wonder whether that result will bite him back. Guintoli has a few weeks to recover now, personally, he's my favorite for the title.