WSBK » Laverty: I think we've surprised people

'I think we are surprising some people as both me and Alex [Lowes] are right there' - Eugene Laverty

JedPB67

January 21, 2014 6:46 AM

I like Eugene and Alex, but I wouldn't take too much from these test times. In 2009 Shane Byrne was untouchable around Portimao in pre season, but when it came to season end he only had 1 podium to his name.

I'm not taking anything away from what these 2 have done with the Suzuki because it's outstanding riding, but this is only testing, hopefully this form will continue into Phillip Island and beyond =)

Nick636

January 21, 2014 9:06 AM

@ lewis08

No... I think that definitely goes to Kawasaki.

Tom is a demon and I honestly think we will see Baz come to the fore this year. All the talk of him not getting equal chance as Sykes (bla bla bla) is utter rubbish. He is improving all the time and now he REALLY knows the bike and the tracks.

Kawasaki for Manufacturers title this year.

lewis08

January 21, 2014 9:29 AM

NICK636 WE WILL SEE IF YOU ARE RIGHT BUT BAZ WILL NOT BEAT LAVERTY AND ALEX TOM WAS LUCKY LAST SEASON THAT LAVERTY HAD SO MANY DNF I DO SEE TOM WINNING THIS SEASON WATCH MARCO HE IS ON A GREAT BIKE THIS SEASON

Welshie

January 21, 2014 9:51 AM

I really hope for the series sake that Suzuki are up there this season. Having Kwak, Aprilia and some others up there will be good as unfortunately I don't think Honda or Duc will have the speed for a while.

ProfessorX

January 21, 2014 5:22 PM

@Nick,

If Baz doesnt really doesnt do more than a couple podiums this year he deserves the door. I know Sykes probably gets a huge percentage of the support on that team, but the bike hes on and where hes put it deserve some better results. There are far more deserving riders than Baz if Baz cant manage any better than last year.

Joeski

January 21, 2014 7:50 PM

ProfX

Baz wil be better! he already is but before we go demanding his head please remember that this is Sykes 6th year in SBK... he never won in his first season on arguably the top bike (and like Spies he is now the focus and Baz might not be top of the list but for sure I think he is getting fair support).

At any rate Sykes only won in his 4th year (I believe) and Baz has won and podiumed in his partial year and his first full year!! So kawasaki sees the potential and most of us do as well.

Back on topic... I dont know who was surprised by Suzuki and their riders but I was not. Preseason 2013 Camier had this bike up at the front as well!!!! With a quality rider as Eugene I expected this but anwhere in the top 5 would have still been good...they are only testing right now and not outright after lap times. I am happy for Alex as he seems to be gelling pretty well with bike, team and tracks.

shamarone

January 22, 2014 3:40 AM

re: "There are far more deserving riders than Baz if Baz cant manage any better than last year."

doesn't matter, you can put Jesus Christ himself on that bike. that's not what he's there for. he's contracted to a team and team objectives come first. we will not be "losing the plot" and screwing up title defences with glory seeking. whaddaya think this is, aprilia...?

Nick636

January 22, 2014 8:40 AM

@ Joeski

I (personally) believe your argument is both valid and slightly incorrect.
I know it's gonna sound hypercritical, (with me saying Tom isn't getting a larger slice of the Kawasaki pie), but at Yamaha, the entire team was focussed around Spies. He got to practically hand pic his own crew. Tom, not. His crew barely spoke English, and in official interviews Tom has shared some insight where his feedback was basically ignored and told, "you run what Ben runs".

In the first 2 years at Kwak, the bike (old model) was terrible. Point and case.

As for Baz, people seem to forget he's only 19. So I agree that we will see some serious pace from him this year. He is just getting better and better. I think he will finish top 4 this year IF Kawasaki show the same pace. He will beat Rea and Laverty.

1 2  »