The Supersport riders have kicked off this year's first official test for the World Superbike and Supersport Championship, although the rainy weather that continues to afflict the Portimao circuit kept action to a minimum.
Following two hours of running, BSB graduate Cal Crutchlow was the front runner on the Yamaha, the Brit setting a best lap of 2mins 05.219secs to put him marginally ahead of local rider Miguel Praia.
However, with lap times some 20secs off the pace from when the Supersport riders were last in Portugal, there is little meaningful data to be taken from the test so far. Indeed, Crutchlow's team-mate Fabien Foret is classified as ninth, albeit almost 16 seconds adrift of the best time.
Indeed, only nine riders made it out onto track, with Althea's Matthieu Lagrive in third, ahead of Praia's Parkalgar team-mate Eugene Laverty, while the second Althea bike of Mark Aitchison was fifth.
Rounding out the positions were Gianluca Nannelli on the Triumph, Arie Vos, Doni Tata Pradita and Foret.World Supersport test: Portimao – Friday 23rd January AM
1. Cal Crutchlow
GBR Yamaha SSP YZF R6 2mins 05.219secs
2. Miguel Praia POR Parkalgar Honda CBR600RR 2mins 05.270secs
3. Matthieu Lagrive FRA Althea Honda CBR600RR 2mins 05.713secs
4. Eugene Laverty IRL Parkalgar Honda CBR600RR 2mins 06.243secs
5. Mark Aitchison AUS Althea Honda CBR600RR 2mins 12.833secs
6. Gianluca Nannelli ITA BE1 Triumph 675 2mins 15.043secs
7. Arie Vos NED Veidec RES Honda CBR600RR 2mins 15.353secs
8. Doni Tata Pradita INA Yamaha YZF R6 2mins 18.856secs
9. Fabien Foret FRA Yamaha SSP YZF R6 2mins 21.017secs