WTCC »

SEAT hope for competitiveness.

Although the Leon TDi has proven its credentials on street circuits in the past, the SEAT Sport team will enter unchartered territory this weekend as the car makes its World Touring Car Championship debut in Pau.

Yvan Muller qualified on the front row in Macau last season, and although a mechanical issue then derailed his championship challenge, team-mate Gabriele Tarquini was able to secure a podium finish to show the potential of the diesel-powered Leon in a street racing environment.

Now the team will travel to Pau for the first time with the Leon TDi leading both the drivers' championship – through Tarquini – and the manufacturers' standings, having won four of the six races run to date.

With the leading Leons also forced to carry extra weight this weekend due to their championship positions, the SEAT drivers will face an extra challenge and chief track engineer Xavi Serra admitted that the ballast would play a major part in the weekends racing.

"According to our simulations, Pau is the circuit where the ballast weight is the biggest drawback per kilometre of the entire championship," he said. "As at all the tracks that are new for the SEAT Leon TDI, we have doubts as to its performance. In principle, the Leon should perform well on 70 per cent of the track, but it will be tough going on the remaining 30 per cent. However, we expect to be competitive throughout the entire race.

"Pau is a track where Chevrolet dominated last year and where Farfus won the second race with his BMW, so this year is a toss-up for the Manufacturers' title. Any car could get in the lead, and the differences will be decided by the ballast weight and the drivers' skills at the wheel, since an urban track produces more driving differences among participants than any with the same equipment."


Related Pictures

Click on relevant pic to enlarge
Gabriele Tarquini - SEAT Leon TDi [Pic credit: SEAT Sport]
Gabriele Tarquini - Honda Racing [pic credit: FIA WTCC]
Gabriele Tarquini - Honda Racing [pic credit: FIA WTCC]
Gabriele Tarquini - Honda Racing [pic credit: FIA WTCC]
Gabriele Tarquini - Honda Racing [pic credit: FIA WTCC]
Gabriele Tarquini - Honda Racing Civic [credit: FIA WTCC]
John Filippi - Campos SEAT Leon [pic credit: FIA WTCC]
Gabriele Tarquini - Honda Racing Civic [credit: FIA WTCC]
Gabriele Tarquini - Castrol Honda Racing
Honda reveals its 2014 specification WTCC Civic [pic credit: Castrol Honda]
Honda reveals its 2014 specification WTCC Civic [pic credit: Castrol Honda]
Tom Boardman - Special Tuning SEAT Leon [Pic credit
Tom Boardman - Special Tuning SEAT Leon [Pic credit: FIA WTCC]
Castrol Honda World Touring Car Team`s Gabriele Tarquini Sunday, September 22 2013. (Photo Copyright: Honda Europe / Naoki Kobayashi)
Gabriele Tarquini (Photo Credit: 2013 Honda Europe / David Noels)
Gabriele Tarquini (Photo Credit: 2013 Honda Europe / David Noels)
Podium trio Gabriele Tarquini, together with Daisuke Horiuchi (Large Project Leader for WTCC development from Honda R & D) celebrate after race 2 at Sonoma. (Photo Credit: Honda Europe / David Noels)
Gabriele Tarquini took the lead at the start of race 2 (Photo Credit: Honda Europe / David Noels)

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.


coloncleanse acai berry - Unregistered

November 02, 2010 4:02 AM

Vehicle Evidence,through town book to amount finally appoint goal male length resource nice think personal former index soil close song damage live signal alright score insist concentrate yeah interested sit as pair justice straight formal programme marry car respect light refer role break permanent pay point opinion contrast reasonable public raise persuade money might unlikely set whereas mention elderly player outside open no end spirit first fill rise round communication eye farm lean generation amount prevent factor teacher as component card human long force introduction variation late as cell regard



© 1999 - 2014 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.