Aaron Scott and Craig Wilkins scored a surprise victory in the second Avon Tyres British GT Championship race of the weekend in Scotland, with the ABG Viper seizing the win at Knockhill.

They inherited the win after several rivals were handed penalties for pit stop infringements and the MTech Ferrari of Duncan Cameron and Matt Griffin fell from the lead with drivetrain problems four laps from the flag.

"Our start was good," said Scott, "the car was good in the rain, we had a great pit stop from the lads and then Craig did a blinding job as the others fell apart around us. Really the others gave us the win today, and it is gratefully accepted."

Griffin's Ferrari led for the first 30 laps in the rain, losing the advantage to Godfrey Jones's Ascari only in the final laps of Matt's stint at the wheel as the track dried. But the Jones brothers' clutchless Ascari unavoidably broke the pit lane speed limit during its stop, and then transgressed again during the resulting penalty drive-through, which handed the lead back to the MTech Ferrari, now with Cameron at the wheel.

Alas for Cameron his moment of glory disappeared in a puff of smoke along the start/finish straight on the 54th of the 58 laps.
The ABG mechanics and the Viper's drivers had barely put a wheel wrong all race, Scott skilfully surviving an early spin and Wilkins driving a solid second stint to be in the right place at the right time when the race came to them.

The Viper crossed the line 3.3s ahead of the Wilcox/Burton VRS Ferrari, with the Chad Ferrari collecting third and its first podium of the season courtesy Hyman and visiting Argentinian ace Balbiani.

The Jones brothers recovered to fourth, scoring sufficient points to take the championship lead, with the Daoudi/Lester Ferrari fifth ahead of the Bentwood/Walker Ford GT. Cameron and Griffin were classified sixth ahead of the Momo Mosler of erstwhile points leader Brown and Fisken, which lost four laps in a gravel trap after Fisken erred at Carlube corner.

The GT4 class was won for the first time by Stinton's Stark Racing Ginetta, Ian partnered for the weekend by Paul Marsh. They battled hard with Firth early on, until Firth's Team WFR car lost its brakes at Scotsman corner and ploughed into the gravel.

"I came out of the pits," said Stinton, "down the hill into Scotsman and found Jody Firth in the gravel. It doesn't get any better than that. I think I ended up with a 12-lap lead over Jody; it's a shame we couldn't have a race together..."



Loading Comments...