VX Racing pairing Fabrizio Giovanardi and Matt Neal endured mixed weekends at Bathurst as the pair headed down under for the biggest event on the V8 Supercar Championship calendar.

Giovanardi teamed up with Briton Marc Hynes in the Team Vodafone line-up, with the pair looking to held the Ford outfit to take a third straight win at The Mountain with lead drivers Craig Lowndes and Jamie Whincup.

The pair had run well at the challenging Mount Panorama circuit and had been able to stay on the lead lap while a number of more established driver pairings ran into problems, but when Giovanardi was tipped into a spin at turn two in the closing stages, an unscheduled stop dropped them off the lead lap and led to a 16th place finish.

"Getting so close, yet now feeling so far away, I am more resolute in coming back to this mountain and trying again," he said. "It is certainly a special place and I can understand why so many drivers welcome the opportunity to be involved.

"I thought at one stage today that we were going to be inside the top ten but unfortunately motorsport and that damn mountain got in our way..."

Neal meanwhile enjoyed a busy weekend as he dovetailed his outing alongside Boris Said in the #67 Supercheap Auto Racing Holden Commodore with a drive in the MINI Challenge races.

Having missed out on what would have been a dramatic win in the second of three MINI races on the final lap, Neal suffered disappointment when he was forced out of the main event itself after a number of incidents; one of which saw him go off into the gravel at the Chase and another that saw him tipped into a spin at the final corner.

"We didn't end up with the result we were hoping for, but that's Bathurst," he said. "It was an eventful day, the car felt good, but we had a few dramas. The tyres were cold when I went off and I didn't like to finish the race the way we did.

"I've really enjoyed my time with the Supercheap Auto team and Boris, and it's been a great adventure."

Former BTCC racer Paul Radisich meanwhile was unable to take part in the race after a high-speed accident during practice.

The Kiwi was at the wheel of the #15 HSV Dealer Team Commodore when a suspected sticking throttle sent him off the road at the top of the Mountain and hard into the concrete wall that bordered the waiting gravel trap.

Radicish will face a number of weeks of recuperation as he recovers from a range of injuries including a fractured right anke, a fractured sternum and cracked ribs.