In perhaps the only race apart from Monaco that could have yielded points for the smaller teams, neither Spyker or Toro Rosso was around at the chequered flag to take advantage.

To make matters worse, both teams are heading to Indianapolis from Montreal with a pair of damaged cars in their transporters, after Adrian Sutil, Christijan Albers, Scott Speed and Tonio Liuzzi all made contact with solid objects in the Canadian Grand Prix.

Speed started the ball rolling, becoming the second retirement of the race after Jenson Button when he clouted the back of Alex Wurz's Williams in an optimistic attempt to pass. The impact damaged Speed's left-front suspension, putting him out of the race before he could make it back to the pits.

"I have to say sorry to the team because I made a bit of a mistake," the American admitted, "Alex was quicker than me down the straightaway, but he made a mistake at the hairpin and then another at the corner before I tried to pass and, when I did try, there just was not enough room for two cars."

Sutil joined Speed on the sidelines after collecting the wall slightly further around the track, bringing out the first of the race's four safety cars on lap 22 as he spread debris across the road at turn four. The German also apologised to his team, reckoning that he would easily have scored Spyker's first points.

The Silverstone team's day was done when Albers followed his team-mate into the wall, this time at turn eight with 22 laps to go. The Dutchman had started from the pit-lane, but kept in touch with the group in front and, thanks to strategy, found himself as high as ninth by lap 40. Lapping a second a lap quicker than the pursuing Wurz, who later finished on the podium, Albers moved further up the order before his incident. Although he was able to continue, pitting for a new nose caused the technicians to discover that a brake line had been damaged in the impact and the Dutchman was out.

"At the beginning of the race, I touched the wall a little bit, but I thought it was going to be okay and not a big issue," he revealed, "But then the car got more and more unbalanced as the race went on, especially the left front. I arrived at T8 and the car just went straight ahead into the wall. It seemed there was a problem with the wing."

Liuzzi completed the quartet, hitting the concrete of Champions Wall when also looking well-placed to score.

"It was not the way I had hoped for this race to end," the Italian sighed, "After Kubica's accident, I, got some debris caught under the car and thought I was going to have to retire. It was like a slalom trying to avoid the debris, but I continued and then everything seemed to be fine. Unfortunately, at the final chicane I went over the kerb, which put me in the wall."

Both teams were delighted with the strategic decisions taken in a race that featured no fewer than four safety cars, but Spyker technical chief Mike Gascoyne insisted that his drivers needed to improve their performance.

"Adrian once again went off on his own accord, and he really has to stop making this kind of mistake now if he wants to compete at this level," he sighed, "Christijan was running very well, but his wing came off through turn eight, which was more than likely due to damage sustained when he clipped the wall earlier on. The wing coming off then damaged the brake line, which meant he couldn't continue. Again, another mistake has meant we missed out on an opportunity of a points finish."



Loading Comments...