Robert Kubica has expressed his disappointment after being told that he will not be able to compete in the United States Grand Prix at Indianapolis this weekend.

The Pole was involved in a frightening high-speed accident during the Canadian Grand Prix at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve last weekend and was fortunate to escape without serious injury, with the initial fears of a broken leg proving to be unfounded.

However, with concerns that a further heavy impact could occur so soon after the initial accident this weekend, the FIA medical team refused Kubica permission to compete in the seventh race of the season - with test driver Sebastien Vettel coming in in his place.

"Naturally I am disappointed because I felt absolutely ready to race," Kubica said. "But I respect the decision. It was made because there is too much risk to let me race in this Grand Prix in case I have another impact so soon after Montreal. I will go home now and I wish Sebastien all the best. It is good for him and I am sure he will do a good job."

Indeed Kubica had earlier told the assembled media presence at Indianapolis that he was ready to race and felt at '100 percent' - less than a week after the 280km/h shunt that destroyed his BMW Sauber F1.07.

"I really feel as if nothing has happened," he admitted during the Thursday press conference, before the news came through that he wouldn't compete. "I want to be back in the car and I'm looking forward to it. Canada was very unlucky for me, starting from Friday: problems with a fuel leak, and then performance-wise it was not good.

"I had a bit of pain in my ankle on the first day after the accident but now it's 100 per cent okay, no headache, nothing - nearly like brand new! I was really lucky and very positive for myself and it was very important to come back as soon as possible. Of course, we have to wait for the decision of the doctors to give me the OK, but I feel like nothing has happened."

Kubica added that he had viewed the television footage afterwards to get better understanding of what occurred as he came up behind the Toyota of Jarno Trulli and admitted that he may not have had the chance to reflect on the incident had it happened ten years ago.

"I also saw it live when I was there!" he joked when asked if he had watched the incident on TV. "I saw it because as Jarno came to the hospital, it was also important to understand what happened, and why suddenly I had no control of the car. Apparently it was the front wing - when we touched - which went under the car and lifted my car up and I couldn't steer any more, which is why I went off.

"What I remember is what you see. We were racing with Jarno, the corner was going to the left. I showed up before the corner on the left-hand side of Jarno. Then as the corner was a left-hander, I thought Jarno would go there and I went on the right-hand side, but apparently Jarno thought I would be on the left one and he went a bit wider. I was not expecting it, we touched, the front wing went under the car and I had no more control. When I was on the outside of the track on the grass, suddenly I took something which lifted up my car pretty much and I hit the wall. When I stopped, I stopped. I was checking myself, moving and I wanted to see what was going on. I felt a bit of ankle pain and that was all.

"It shows that the FIA's push for safety, to the teams and that the crash tests - everything - has shown a big improvement. And also big thanks to the FIA because in the end they are pushing for safety, and probably ten years ago we would not be speaking here, and this time I'm like nothing has happened."

Kubica will now undergo further medical tests prior to the next Grand Prix in France, where he will hope to make his return to the cockpit.

 

Comments

Loading Comments...