Fernando Alonso will make a decision on where - or even if - he is to drive in 2008 by next Monday.

That is the declaration of Spanish newspaper Diario AS, which predicts an announcement will be made about the double Formula 1 World Champion's immediate future in the sport four days after the World Motor Sport Council hearing into Renault's alleged possession of confidential McLaren data [see separate story - click here].

Should the R?gie be found guilty and receive a similar penalty to that levied at the Woking-based outfit during the summer, many believe it could force the French manufacturer to pull the plug on its F1 programme entirely.

David Coulthard yesterday said if that does indeed turn out to be the case, Alonso may even be forced into taking a sabbatical rather than commit to running with a less competitive team.

Aside from Renault, the 26-year-old has lately been linked with Red Bull Racing and Honda, but the major sticking point is he is said to be seeking a one-year agreement only, in order to be able to then switch across to Ferrrari alongside Kimi Raikkonen in 2009.

Alonso split with McLaren two years prior to the termination of his contract at the beginning of last month, following an acrimonious season blighted by public rows with team-mate Lewis Hamilton and team boss Ron Dennis.

 

Comments

Loading Comments...