Gerhard Berger has insisted that his Toro Rosso team will not stoop to hiring a well-backed driver should it lose one of its current pilots next season.

Having spent much of Thursday's press conference claiming that there had been no talks about the future of the team, which co-owner Dietrich Mateschitz has said he will attempt to off-load should the 'customer car' debate go against it, Berger told Austrian news agency APA that Toro Rosso would not be looking to pay drivers to help make ends meet.

The Italian team currently runs Sebastian Vettel and Sebastien Bourdais, but is resigned to losing the German next season, most likely as Mateschitz switches him to the Red Bull Racing line-up. Berger, however, maintains that Vettel's replacement would be picked on ability rather than the backing he may be able to bring to Faenza.

"We will never have a pay driver - that's not what we are about," the former McLaren and Ferrari pilot claimed, "Of course, we would prefer to stay with Vettel and Bourdais, because we are very content with them and it is a problem to always be changing the drivers, but none of us want to take on the Minardi role."

Among those under consideration for next season may be Bruno Senna, who withstood sustained pressure from acknowledged Monaco 'expert' Pastor Maldonado to clinch victory in the GP2 Series' feature race in Monaco on Friday.

Despite having useful Brazilian backing, Senna has done enough in his few seasons of racing - he did not race karts and only started competing five years ago -to convince those higher up the ladder that he may be worth a look.

The nephew of Berger's late friend, and multiple Monaco Grand Prix winner, Ayrton has said that he intends to be in Formula One next season, and Berger reckons that the Brazilian is well-placed to achieve that goal.

"Bruno is now in the best team, and it should win the championship," he said of reigning GP2 kings iSport International, which took a 1-3 finish in Friday's event.

 

Comments

Loading Comments...