Felipe Massa remains "totally motivated" to continue racing in Formula 1 next year but is in the dark over his future with Williams as it considers its driver options for 2018.

Williams is thought to be considering recent Renault tester Robert Kubica and current reserve driver Paul di Resta as possible alternatives to Massa for next season alongside Lance Stroll.

Massa stressed in Singapore he wanted Williams to prove it wanted to keep him for 2018, and re-affirmed ahead of this weekend's race in Malaysia his position was clear for the team.

"We are discussing with the team, and the team knows 100 per cent my points to stay another year," Massa said.

"I was always a professional driver, and I stay and I will finish as a professional driver like I started my career. That is the most important thing for me, so the team knows what I can give to the team.

"I would say definitely I have all the people that understand about motor racing on my side inside the team, engineers and everything. That’s what counts for me in the end. Then you have some other decisions that are not depending on the talent of the driver or what he can give to the team on the driving point of view. This is not up to me to say anything."

Despite Williams being his only option to remain in F1 next year, Massa said he is not panicking about his racing future.

"I am quite relaxed, I know what I can give. I am totally motivated to carry on another year," Massa said.

"But I am staying if the team really wants to have me as a professional I have always been in my career. So that is the most important thing for me, and I am quite relaxed. So if I stay here next year I am sure I will do the best I can to give back to the team like I did a lot.

"But if not I am relaxed too to find a different way for my life as well."

Massa had planned to retire from F1 at the end of last year, only for Valtteri Bottas' move up to Mercedes to result in the Brazilian making a shock return to the sport, with a decision being taken well into the winter.

Massa does not want a repeat of that for 2018 though: "For sure I will not wait until December. I don’t put a timeline but I hope it will be next weeks, so I don’t want to arrive in the last two races not knowing about my future.

"So we will wait and see what the decision is going to be and I hope it will be soon."



Loading Comments...