Toro Rosso Formula 1 boss Franz Tost says the team is "all open" to bringing Daniil Kvyat back into a full-time race seat despite dropping him in favour of Pierre Gasly for the next two races.

After scoring just four points this season, Toro Rosso announced earlier this week that Kvyat would be benched for Malaysia and Japan to allow 2016 GP2 champion Gasly to make his F1 debut.

Gasly confirmed on Thursday he is unsure how many races he will contest after Japan, with the United States Grand Prix taking place on the same weekend as the Super Formula finale at Suzuka where he could win the championship.

Speaking to the official F1 website, Tost was asked if Kvyat - who was demoted from Red Bull's senior team to Toro Rosso less than 18 months ago - would ever return.

"It is all open. He is still a Red Bull driver and has a valid contract," Tost said.

"Red Bull decided to run Pierre Gasly to see where his real performance is. After we get a picture of this Red Bull will decide [for 2018]."

Current Toro Rosso driver Carlos Sainz Jr. will move up to a seat at Renault in 2018, freeing up at least one drive that was expected to be taken by Gasly alongside Kvyat, given there are no other junior drivers in Red Bull's young driver stable ready to step up to F1.

"Yes, there is nobody else from our junior programme," Tost acknowledged.

"But let’s see."

 

Comments

Loading Comments...