Santino Ferrucci will remain part of Haas' Formula 1 driver programme despite his Formula 2 ban and contract termination, having since moved into IndyCar to try and continue his racing development.

Ferrucci has been part of Haas' development scheme in F1 since 2016, combining duties for the team with a race drive in F2, but was hit with a two-round ban for a series of incidents over the Silverstone race weekend.

5774263478001

CrashTV: 

Ferrucci's contract was terminated by the Trident team soon after the ban was announced, relating to his off-track conduct and behaviour.

Haas team principal Gunther Steiner said ahead of the summer break that he would consider Ferrucci's involvement with the team over the summer break, and confirmed at Spa on Thursday he would be sticking around for the time being.

"I think we’ll keep him for the time being on the programme. We’ll see what he’s going to do in IndyCar and stay with that one," Steiner said.

"The guy is trying to make a career, and we don’t want to pull the rug from under his feet."

Ferrucci has joined Dale Coyne Racing in IndyCar for the final two races of the 2018 season at Portland and Sonoma in the coming weeks, having previously debuted in the series at Detroit earlier this year.

Comments

Loading Comments...