New Formula Palmer Audi champion Ryan Lewis appears to have decided where his racing future lies, having opened talks with several leading Formula Three teams ahead of this weekend's British Championship finale at Brands Hatch.

The teenager recently enjoyed a successful test with Team SYR, and is now seriously considering competing in the Scholarship Class in next year's British series. He hopes to make his race debut with the Malaysian-backed team at Brands Hatch, having raced in Formula Renault last weekend.

"Things went really well last week, and I was surprised how easy it was to adapt from the FPA car," he revealed, "I feel I could produce a good showing in the [F3] series next year.

"I think the F3 car suits my driving style now. I settled in well to the FPA car and am really pleased with the results we achieved - not least eight podium finishes and, of course, the title. Now I'm ready to move onto the next step, which must be Formula Three."

Lewis was deprived of a finish in either of the two Formula Renault races at Oulton Park at the weekend, after an accident and accident damage forced him out of the events.

Damaged rear pushrods, sustained in a practice accident, forced retirement in Saturday's event. Lewis crashed at Druids in the morning's damp practice session and was forced to start from the back of the grid, but, as the race progressed, it became apparent that the damage was more severe than previously thought, forcing him into the pits and instant retirement.

"It was tough in the race," Lewis admitted, "It got to the point where the car just didn't want to turn right, and it made more sense to retire than try and continue. But that's motor racing - sometimes things go well, other times they don't. You just have to be philosophical about it, put it behind you, and move on."

Unfortunately, things didn't get any better on Sunday, when a first lap collision forced the Manor Motorsport driver to retire at the end of the lap with serious front-end damage.

After a good start, in which he made up several places, Lewis was preparing to pass another driver as they entered the Island hairpin for the first time, when the car in front braked sharply and left the pursuing Lewis with little option but to run into the back of him.

"Things were looking quite good," the unfortunate teenager said, "I'd managed to make up three or four places at the start and was looking to pass another up the inside going into the hairpin, when he suddenly braked much harder than I expected. The nose was damaged as was the brake fluid cap, so there was no chance of rejoining the race. I'm very disappointed really, things had gone well in testing, but this weekend has been a nightmare for me."



Loading Comments...