Jon Lancaster has lost his sixth place finish from Sunday morning's sprint race at the Autodromo Nazionale Monza after receiving a 20-second post-race penalty from the stewards.

The Hilmer Motorsport driver was judged to have moved across the white line in front of the pit wall on the main start/finish straight denoting the official track limits in his bid to pass Campos Racing's Arthur Pic mid-way through the 21-lap race.

Under normal circumstances Lancaster could have quickly conceded the position back to Pic to avoid the possibility of a penalty, but moments Pic tried to take matters into his own hands at Roggia only to miss the apex of the chicane and lose a further place to Carlin's Felipe Nasr. That meant Lancaster could no longer simply allow Pic to pass without further letting Nasr by, which he decided not to do.

As a result, a post-race review by the stewards handed Lancaster a 20-second penalty which when added to his time means that he drops from sixth to 15th place in the final race classification. Felipe Nasr gains a place and moves up to sixth in Lancaster absence, with Pic moving up to seventh position. Rapax's Adrian Quaife-Hobbs is also promoted into a points-paying position in eighth.

The stewards also reviewed the collision between Caterham's new driver Pierre Gasly and Russian Time's Artem Markelov on lap 1 which put both cars into the barrier on the back straight and triggered a lengthy safety car appearance while the cars were retrieved and the debris cleared up.

The steward found that on closer analysis the collision had been the fault of Gasly. As the 18-year-old Frenchman retired from the race as a result of the incident, the penalty in this case is a five-place grid drop held over for the next feature race that will take place at Sochi International Street Circuit in Russia on October 11. If Gasly's qualifying performance is not sufficient to allow the five-place drop to be taken in full, he will be required to start from the pit lane instead.

Gasly's infraction occurred just after Trident's Sergio Canamasas had run off at high speed through Ascari and returned to the track just ahead of a number of cars, making contact with Quaife-Hobbs in the process. Canamasas was placed under investigation for causing a collision and subsequently went on to have further contact with Arden's Rene Binder and Racing Engineering's Raffaele Marciello.

Canamasas was eventually shown a black-flagged that meant he was disqualified from the race, but no further penalties were subsequently handed down to the Spaniard by the race stewards as a result of the multiple incidents.

See updated race results and championship standings from Monza