It was a familiar story to the day's racing at Foxhills for the sixth round of the British motocross championship with Shaun Simpson and Max Anstie chalking up yet another of perfect scores across their three motos.

With the weather far better than was originally predicted, the track was super hard and organisers, Steve Dixon's SD events went heavy on the watering before the first races, leading to some particularly mud splattered riders in the first laps of the opening motos.

In MX2 it was Anstie who came out fighting, fresh from his stunning GP win in Latvia, putting in fastest qualifying ahead of Adam Sterry and Steve Lenoir. In the first race, Sterry got the drop and lead for the majority of the race with first Lenoir and then Anstie tailing. Max hit the front during lap eight and was untouchable from that point.

Reigning MX2 champ Matiss Karro was finally having a good race, sitting in fourth for the entire race until a nasty off on the top straight ended his race and his day, Ben Watson inheriting the place.

Race two all but belonged to Husqvarna's Steven Clarke who seemed on sparkling form out front as Anstie was buried back in the pack, Clarke's competition coming from Bryan Mackenzie. Anstie sliced to third in just three laps, sitting behind Lenoir for five laps before taking the Frenchman and then Clarke two laps later for the win.

The final race was far less dramatic, with Anstie leading all race from Lenoir and Watson. The final podium saw Max at the top, Lenoir in second and Sterry in third, his best result for some time.

MX1 was predictably all about Shaun Simpson. With his temporary nemesis Steven Frossard departed for a ride with Kawasaki after his less than successful tenure with the Wilvo Forkrent team, the Scot is in another class within the British championship this year. He aced qualifying by over half a second from Graeme Irwin, but it was the Irishman who got out of the gate first, leading the reigning champ for three laps. Elliott Banks-Browne had a great race moving from fourth through to an eventual second, the race foreshortened by a crash in the bottom of the valley with Irwin then Martin Barr coming in behind him.

The second race saw Simpson leading from the off, with Irwin, EBB and Barr in tow, The result might have stayed that way had Banks-Browne not fallen and smashed up his throttle tube. He pitted for a repair, but there was little team boss Rob Hopper could do and a DNF followed.

The final race of the day gave the sole Buildbase ride a chance to shine. With Kristian Whatley having to go back under the knife to replace screws in his recently plated collarbone, Gert Krestinov shot out of the gate ahead of Simpson, leading all but four laps of the twelve lap race before Simpson took the lead. Former two-time champion Brad Anderson took an great third place, but it was that man Barr in fourth yet again.

Irwin was having a worse time back in the pack, in eleventh, and even when he tried to push forward high sided on the slick surface. He remounted to return to the same position and had done enough to take second overall with Barr in a great third spot, his best for years.

Simpson's win extends his point lead and he can tie up the MX1 title race in the next and penultimate round at Preston Docks in September.



Loading Comments...