It felt like a whole season in Portugal, rather than just one weekend, in Estoril but it worked out really well. Another podium finish, my third pole position of the year set by a lap on Friday morning and my Moto2 future sorted with the Tech 3 team - can't be bad... but don't mention the weather.

I'm so happy to have sorted out my Moto2 ride next year and we announced the agreement after the race on Sunday after we agreed all the details on Saturday. It's been a bit stressful but now I can just concentrate on my last 125cc grand prix at Valencia this weekend before my first test of the Moto2 bike in Valencia on Monday. No end of season party for me on Sunday night. I'll have to be tucked up in bed while everybody enjoys the biggest party of the year.

Of course I'm nervous about the next step but the Tech 3 team have such experience and success at World Championship level I know they will really help in the transition from 125 to Moto2. It's big step but I'm ready and I'm glad it's all sorted. I always thought it would happen with Herve Poncheral and Tech 3. I'm too big for a 125 and so the time was right for the move and I will be starting from step one once again. First I will focus on the testing in Valencia which I'm really excited about and then starting a new season in a new class. It will be a massive challenge and I look forward to carrying on where I've left off. Former 125cc World Champion Mike Di Meglio will be my new team-mate and we get on great. We have both ridden for the Aspar team for the last couple of years with Mike in the 250cc and then this year in the Moto2 class. I know his experience will help me.

Moto2 is going to be a new experience and I certainly will have to learn to pull the pin in qualifying because it's absolutely vital to be near the front. I'll have to get used to a bit of rough and tumble but scrapping is something I've learnt to do in the 125's.

I certainly had to get involved in some good old fashioned scrapping as I tried to help my team-mate Nico Terol win the race on Sunday. The first race was red flagged because of the rain, which stopped immediately. The new race was just nine laps and I really tried hard to be a team player by preventing Marc Marquez beating Nico. They were separated by just 12 points in the Championship with two rounds to go and I felt it was the right thing to help the team.

I felt very comfortable sitting behind Nico who was setting a good pace as Marc closed on the pair off us. It was a vital race for both of them and I managed to protect Nico for quite a while and even re-passed Marc when he got through. In the end there was nothing either I or Nico could do to prevent him winning the race. Marc now has a 17 point lead going into the last race and if he wins the title I must say he will be a very worthy World Champion.

Sorry to go on about the weather but actually the torrential rain on Saturday helped me take my third pole of the season. Little did I realise on Friday morning when I set the fastest time on just the fourth lap of the first practice that I would be receiving the Tissot watch from a Portuguese World Cup footballer on Saturday afternoon. That was definitely the last thing on my mind when I crashed in the rain at turn two later in the session. That lap time was the fastest in the three practices and when the rain flooded the track on Saturday afternoon, causing the cancellation of all qualifying it was Bradley Smith on pole. I make no apologies because you have take good fortune when it comes your way because it can often be the other way round.

It will be a weird feeling at Valencia on Sunday riding in my last 125cc for the Aspar team who are based near the circuit. I'm really up for putting on a good show. The shackles are off and I want to finish a tough season and my 125 cc career with a bang and win my first race of the year.



Loading Comments...