Alvaro Bautista is beginning on the long road to recovery after once more undergoing surgery on the femur he fractured in an accident during the Qatar Grand Prix weekend.

The Spaniard damaged his thigh after falling heavily during free practice at Losail, Bautista proceeding to be operated on at Hamad Medical Corporation in Doha to fix the fracture with interlocking screws.

However, Bautista's injury was made all the more complex by the formation of compartmental syndrome, which was causing bleeding inside the thigh. As such, doctors decided to make an incision from the hip to the knee to relieve the muscle inflammation. This incision remained open, and an attempt to close it was made in a new procedure 48 hours later but without success.

On Wednesday evening, Bautista landed in Madrid on a specially prepared medical aeroplane, and was transferred by ambulance to the Hospital USP San Jos? - something he had requested at the time of the accident. There he received a blood transfusion having lost more than one litre of blood due to the fracture he had suffered.

Upon his arrival at the hospital Bautista was received by Dr ?ngel Villamor, Medical Director of IQTRA and traumatology at the Hospital USP San Jos?. The general condition of Bautista was good, although he arrived tired and in pain. An immediate blood test was carried out, which revealed that his haemoglobin levels had increased, and subsequent MRI and ecography scans confirmed the localised presence of internal bleeding in the thigh.

In new scans the correct fixation of the femur fracture was confirmed.

In light of the situation and with the patient in a stabilised condition, Dr Villamor decided to perform a new surgical procedure to begin the reduction of the quadriceps muscles which had become herniated through the open incision (which was 6x30 cm on the outer side of the thigh).

For this a surgical mesh was used to close and stitch the skin on the thigh. Anti-inflammatory medication was administered intravenously, in high doses, as well as preventative antibiotics, which helped Bautista to have a more comfortable night. This morning (Thursday), after a further check by the doctor, Bautista underwent his first session of physiotherapy, during which he was in characteristically high spirits.

A two to three day hospital stay is anticipated by the hospital, with medication and intensive physiotherapy to avoid complications and aid a speedy recovery.



Loading Comments...