When Kyle Busch gets on a winning streak, he doesn't miss around. Last week he claimed his maiden NASCAR wins at Martinsville Speedway in the Sprint Cup and Camping World Truck Series, and this week he did the same again in Cup and Xfinity events at Texas Motor Speedway to pull off four consecutive national-level wins in just eight days.

Having already won Friday night's Xfinity Series (see below), Busch's victory in Saturday night's Duck Commander 500 - which was almost two hours late starting due to rain showers and subsequent track drying - is the Joe Gibbs Racing driver's 36th win in 397 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races and his second in 21 starts at Texas. Two victories means Busch is now almost certain to qualify for the Chase and defend his title, assuming that he participates in all the remaining 19 regular season weekends and finished in the top 30 in the championship standings.

Although Busch had dominated the Xfinity event the night before, the Cup race was an altogether different affair and the #18 was recorded as being out in front for just a solitary lap during a round of pit stops early on before working his way forward and taking advantage of a series of late cautions to creep up on long-time leader Martin Truex Jr. and get around him on a restart on lap 302, after which Busch was able to pull away from the field and win by a margin of almost four seconds at the line.

"It was a really good effort," said Busch. "We were able to set up our race car to my liking. Wasn't necessarily the fastest qualifier, but we knew we had a good race car.

"Early in the race we weren't all that great," he admitted. " We were mired, what, fifth, sixth most of the time, and then once we passed for fourth, passed for third and we got to the third place, I just knew that we were better, but again, the #19, he was really fast, and the #78, they were really fast, too, on the long runs.

"The track wasn't necessarily coming to us, but then all of a sudden it took a shift and things did come to us, and we had a really good car there at the end," he continued, praising the work of his crew chief Adam Stevens. "Adam made awesome adjustments all night long, though, and kept us in the game and kept getting us better and took us from probably being a sixth-, eighth-place car, something like that, to then being able to run up front in the top three, and barring different tyre circumstances or different restart circumstances at the end, giving us a shot to win."

Busch's JGR team mate Carl Edwards had started from pole and led the first 30 laps until the scheduled safety caution, planned to allow crew chiefs to take a look at the changed track conditions following the rain showers that had swept through earlier in the day making the 1.5-mile oval slicker and more wearing on the tyres than originally anticipated.

Edwards resumed in the lead, but it was Truex in the Furniture Row Racing #78 who went to the front to lead the first of a total of 141 of the 334 laps of the race from lap 59. A debris caution allowed Edwards to win the race off pit lane and lead again on lap 138 through a round of green-flag pit stops, but Truex was back out in front again by the time the caution flags came out foe Josh Wise taking a hard hit into the wall in turn 3 on lap 211.

That caution occurred in the middle of a round of green flag pit stops, catching several names out. Dale Earnhardt Jr. was initially handed the free pass by race control, leaving his Hendrick Motorsport team mate Jimmie Johnson a lap down along with Richard Petty Motorsport's Aric Almirola, but Johnson was eventually awarded a wave-around to put him back on the lead lap; Stewart-Haas Racing's Kevin Harvick fell to the back of the lead lap after receiving two pit penalties (speeding and an uncontrolled tyre); and Edwards initially restarted in second behind JGR's Matt Kenseth only to be forced to return to pit lane with a suspected loose wheel, all of which helped Kyle Busch move up into third place behind Kenseth and Truex.

Busch passed Kenseth to make that second place just before a round of green flag pit stops, which allowed Roush Fenway Racing's Trevor Bayne to lead for 12 laps an an alternate fuel conservation strategy; however, fresh tyres for Truex, Busch and Kenseth soon made up the deficit and by lap 274 the trio were back at the front once again. Bayne's strategic gamble failed to pay off when a debris caution materialised on lap 278 just two laps after his delayed pit stop, as it allowed the leaders to also top up their fuel to get to the end of the race.

Bayne's team mate Greg Biffle hit the wall in turn 2 just five laps into the restart, after contact with Hendrick's Kasey Kahne. "I got hit by the #5," Biffle confirmed later. "I'm not sure what happened. He just got in the back of me and turned me around and got me up in the fence ... We were fighting for the lucky dog to get on the lead lap. We were faster than quite a few of those guys on the lead lap at the back of the field, so it's unfortunate we didn't get a chance to race with them."

The next restart saw the field of competition was thinned somewhat by a 13-car wreck on lap 294, triggered by JGR's Denny Hamlin tapping Richard Childress Racing's Austin Dillon who hit the wall and bounced back across the backstraight resulting in a conflagration narrowly that to varying degrees caught out Johnson, Kenseth, Brian Vickers (Stewart-Haas Racing), Michael Annett (HScott Motorsports), Ricky Stenhouse Jr. (Roush), Regan Smith (Tommy Baldwin Racing), Clint Bowyer (HScott Motorsports), Trevor Bayne (Roush), Brian Scott (Richard Petty Motorsports) and David Ragan (BK Racing) as well as both of Dillon's team mates Paul Menard and Ryan Newman.

"We were on older tyres and I was trying to get all I could there," said Dillon afterwards. "It's part of trying to win a race. We put ourselves in a position to be out front, thinking that two laps wouldn't mean much, but it did. That's part of it.

"You have to be gracious in defeat," he added. "We'll come back next week with another fast car and hopefully we can do the same thing we did today, and that's run up front."

"It looked like at first I thought he was gonna come down the track and then it looked like he was going to stay up on the top," said Stenhouse, who hit the wall attempting to avoid Dillon. "I kind of committed to turning underneath thinking he was going to stay at the top, then all of a sudden he came down and I got as much brake as I could and avoided him as much as I could. We just barely clipped him ever so slightly and it got us too much damage."

"It was a long day," sighed Vickers, who had earlier spun in the entrance to pit lane in his latest appearance sitting in for the injured Tony Stewart in the #14. "That wreck just finally ended it for us. It's unfortunate."

Truex stayed out to lead at the restart, but his older tyres meant Busch was able to shoot around the outside at the green flag and with no further cautions he opened up an unassailable lead to clinch victory ahead of Earnhardt, Joey Logano (Penske) and Johnson, whose team mate Chase Elliott recovered from a back-row start for a changed transmission to finish in fourth place ahead of Truex whose older tyres meant that he waned in the final stint.

"We got a little behind and got caught on pit road on that one caution," commented Earnhardt. "We had a fast car, probably good enough to win. Martin probably had the best car, but the best car doesn't always win.

"Kyle did a great job on the outside on that last restart," he continued. "I didn't think Kyle was making any missteps up there. He was running some pretty competitive laps. I don't think we could have caught him. Kyle just kind of got too far out there, and Kyle knows how to hammer down when it matters."

"We finished up there where we should have. We need a win. We'd love a win; I know our fans want a win really bad. Trust me man, we're all working really hard and running great every week. Hopefully that's fun for everyone to watch. I had a blast inside the car - a lot of sliding around sideways and good, hard racing. We'll go to the next one I guess and try again."

"I'm proud of what my race team did," said third-place man Logano. "We may not have had the fastest car, we obviously didn't have the fastest car, but we executed into a top-three finish, and I'm very proud of my team for that. We had great pit stops and great calls, so everything worked out well. Everyone did their job."

"We overcame a lot today," reported Johnson, who had came into this weekend's race on the back of a three-win streak at Texas but who suffered damage to his car during the first round of pit stops. "On that first pit stop, everyone was checking up and I hammered the back of the #18. We had to fix damage on the nose, and it wasn't pretty. There's a big hole up front and that couldn't have been helping us at all."

"It was a step in the right direction," said Elliott. "We're definitely not satisfied running fifth. I feel like we have a group of guys that are capable of doing that. We'll keep digging at it. We have a long way to go with a lot of racing to go in the season. We'll keep working to get where we can roll with those guys."

"The final caution really hurt us," sighed Truex. "The caution before we took the lead on the restart and our Bass Pro Shops/TRACKER Boats Toyota was driving away. When the race restarted for the final time we just didn't have the grip everybody else had. We were just sliding around."

"I was hoping more cars would have stayed out, but when you have the dominant car that's the only chance they have to beat you," added Truex's crew chief Cole Pearn. "By staying out and leading, we felt that having clean air would be an equalizer. But in that situation it's easier to make the call when you're running second and not first. We've seen this happen many times in NASCAR when the race leader is sometimes in a no win situation. It was a bummer to finish where we did tonight."

Edwards battled his way back to seventh after the mid-race loose wheel, with Kahne in eighth ahead of SHR's Kurt Busch and Kevin Harvick.

This week's victory puts defending champion Kyle Busch back on top of the points standings by six points from Johnson, while Harvick drops to third place ahead of Edwards, Logano and Earnhardt Jr.

Next week's race is the Food City 500 on Sunday April 17 at Bristol Motor Speedway, which ominously is one of Busch's favourite tracks and among his most successful - especially when it comes to sweeping up.

Full race results and updated Sprint Cup Championship standings.

Xfinity Series: Joe Gibbs Racing once again dominated qualifying, with Kyle Busch on pole ahead of team mates Erik Jones and Daniel Suarez for Friday night's O'Reilly Auto Parts 300 race. Busch made the early running but Jones was able to get ahead just before a caution on lap 78 caused by a spin for Suarez in turn 4. Jones was hit by a pit lane penalty when his crew was too quick to jump over the wall, sending him to the back of the lead lap and handing Chip Ganassi Racing's Kyle Larson the lead for the restart. Larson led for 38 laps but Busch was back in control again on lap 120, and had pulled out a three second lead by the time Richard Petty Motorsports's Jeb Burton blew a tyre on lap 144 causing him to hit the wall in turn 2 and collect Blake Koch in the #11 Kaulig Racing. There were no further cautions after that and Busch's lead was back up to three seconds by the time the chequered flag came out which saw him claim his 80th victory in 316 series starts and fourth of the year, with Jones having completed his comeback drive from the back to take second ahead of Cup regulars Brad Keselowski (Penske), Chase Elliott (JR Motorsports) and Dale Earnhardt Jr. (JR Motorsports.) In the championship standings, Suarez leads by a solitary point from JR Motorsports' Elliott Sadler with Justin Allgaier (JR Motorsports) in third ahead of Brandon Jones (Richard Childress Racing), Erik Jones and Ty Dillon (RCR).

Get the latest NASCAR news straight to your Twitter feed! CLICK HERE to follow Crash.net's new dedicated NASCAR Twitter feed



Loading Comments...