Samuel Oram-Jones bounced back at Rowrah in the fifth round of the 2012 British Super One MSA TKM Series last weekend (August 18-19) and moved back up to sixth in the KF3 Championship standings.

Sammy has made the step up to KF3 this year and has shown great promise with a quartet of podiums at the end last month in the second and final round of the 2012 CIK-FIA European KF3 Championship at PF International. However at that very same event, the Milton Keynes-based youngster was afflicted by a mysterious technical issue in both finals, which left him severely down on power. That eventually culminated in a switch to a new engine supplier ahead of the trip to Cumbria and the 14-year-old immediately found himself right back in contention and right back on the pace.

Indeed he was one of the quickest in practice and carried that form through to qualifying where he ended up joint fifth fastest in a tricky wet-dry session, with the conditions ever improving at the end as the track dried out.

"Straight from the start we noticed a difference with the new engine," Sammy said. "The power felt good and I was very optimistic going into the weekend. In qualifying though, it was really about who got over the line last due to the conditions. Still fifth place was alright and wasn't too bad a place to start from in the heats."

In the opening heat, Sammy finished third, but a ten-second penalty post-race dropped him back to ninth: "I got hit off on the rolling-up lap," he explained, "but still came back through to re-gain my fifth place on the grid. That's why I got a 10 second penalty. It's a shame, but life goes on!"

The second heat also ended in disappointment and after being taken out half-way through the first corner, while running in fifth, he finished 17th. That left him 13th for the first final, but a great start saw him jump up the order and he came through to take sixth in his Millennium Motorsport-run kart, a result he repeated in the second final, despite a very different opening lap.

"I was up to fifth and moving forward quite fast off the start [in final two]," Sammy recalled, "However into the first hairpin someone drove into the side of me again. That spun me off and down to something like 15th or 16th. But then I came back on and found I had a lot of pace and came back through.

"We had decided to make some set-up changes after the first final and that really helped us.

"Overall I think the weekend went well. We found quite a lot of pace and that should put us in a good position going into the next Super One round. We have really moved forward with the kart and I have moved forward in the championship too. It is all positive and means I can still finish in the top-five. We've definitely stepped up our game for the final two rounds."

Sammy will now take in the penultimate round in the 2012 British Super One MSA TKM Series at the start of next month, when he heads to Clay Pigeon in Dorset (September 1-2), and he is optimistic about what he can do there.

"I think it will be a really good weekend. The last time I went to Clay Pigeon was about two and a half years ago, and I was in Cadets, but I am not worried about that. I had never been to GYG before in KF3 until earlier this month, but we were still fast until we had our technical problems. I am confident I will be able to learn the track quite quickly there and hopefully come through and finish right at the front," he continued.

Sammy's father and manager, Emil, meanwhile has been impressed with how his son has stuck at it in recent events despite the gremlins with the engine.

"Despite the technical issues we have had, Sammy has remained focused on the job at hand," Emil summarised, "and having moved to a new engine that appears to have helped us overcome the problems. Sammy did very well at Rowrah and his pace was as ever very good.

"Moving forward we are now going to concentrate on the next two rounds of Super One at Clay Pigeon and Shenington and then we will start to think about testing for the CIK-FIA World Cup."



Loading Comments...