Guy Wilks admitted it was a 'fantastic' feeling to secure his second Tesco 99 Octane British Rally Championship title on the season ending Wales Rally GB.

With the final round of the World Rally Championship also playing host to the final two BRC events, with day one being the sixth round of the season and days two and three making up round seven.

Wilks went into the final two rounds of the season two points behind brothers Mark and David Higgins in the standings and duly took victory in round six as he led the way for the BRC runners at the end of the first day, while Mark Higgins was forced to retire after going off the road.

Although Higgins restarted on day two, he would soon crash out of the event again and when David Higgins suffered a similar problem, Wilks was assured of the drivers' title and focus turned to helping Mitsubishi wrap up the team's title.

However, a loose intercooler pipe in stage ten slowed Wilks' progress, allowing Patrick Flodin and team-mate Gwyndaf Evans to get ahead. However, it was not the last of Wilks' delays: a spongy brake pedal in SS12 meant he was a minute late booking into SS13 - having had to bleed the brakes at the side of the road - and then, just a mile from the end of SS14, a shaft broke in his cars transmission.

Having made it back to Cardiff for the Millennium Stadium stage with just two-wheel drive, Wilks was able to get a replacement gearbox overnight and made it through the final four stages unscathed to finish second behind Flodin and help Mitsubishi claim both titles.

"After the season all of us in the team have had it's great to have come out on top for the second year running,," he said. "It's proved harder to defend the title than to win it for the first time as there's the weight of expectation on your shoulders, which makes this result even sweeter. Everyone in the team pulled together to achieve the result this weekend and I have to admit that it's fantastic to be a double British Champion."

On home soil, team-mate Evans finished round six of the season in fourth before joining Wilks on the podium for round seven and he ended the season in fourth place in the standings despite only competing part of the campaign after replacing Phil Morrow in the Mitsubishi line-up.

"I am so pleased for the team," the Welshman enthused. "Since I joined Mitsubishi in the middle of the year there was a massive job to do and I'm delighted that we've done it. The Rally GB is always a tough event but our task was made even more difficult because of the conditions, which makes the achievement even more satisfying."



Loading Comments...