John McGuinness said his Honda Racing Fireblade never missed a beat all week at the North West 200 as the Morecambe man now looks ahead to the Isle of Man TT races.

McGuinness finished sixth in the sole Superbike race on Saturday after the schedule was abandoned following the fatal incident that claimed the life of young English rider Malachi Mitchell-Thomas in the Supertwins race.

The 44-year-old set his fastest ever speed through the timing beam at 204mph but had hoped to be further up the leader board.

"The start of the race was a little frustrating. I got a good jump off the line, but as I was in the middle of the third row and with a good start it was really tight on the grid so I had nowhere to go," said McGuinness, who qualified eighth.

"I didn't get away well, which was annoying and I did think I was going to get smoked in the race. I settled for a lap or two and felt in some places I was stronger than the others and then in other places the other guys were quicker. But I found my rhythm and Conor [Cummins] and I had a bit of battle, which was fun and I managed to get past him in the end," he added.

"I did my best from the start to the red flag and I felt competitive throughout the race, and throughout the whole week in fact. The CBR never missed a beat and I managed 204mph, which is the fastest I have ever been round here.

"It's such a tough race and there's ten riders who are on the pipe pushing hard, so if you're in that group you're not doing bad! But I'd like to be a little further up that group," said the 23-time TT winner.

"We made some changes to the Fireblade ready for race two, but due to the incident in the Supertwin race the rest of the races have been cancelled. I'd like to send my condolences to the riders' family, friends and team."

McGuiness's Honda team-mate, Conor Cummins, finished seventh.

The race was red-flagged on lap four with three laps remaining after Bruce Anstey came off his Valvoline Padgetts Honda machine at Church corner, walking away unhurt.

The race was declared a result as the leading group crossed the line to commence their fifth lap, with Michael Dunlop taking victory on the Hawk Racing BMW.