Peter Hickman earned the man of the meeting award with a terrific treble at the MCE Ulster Grand Prix on a record-breaking day at Dundrod.

Hickman won the Superstock race on the Smiths BMW and chalked up a double in the Supersport races on the Trooper Beer Smiths Triumph – his maiden international road racing wins in the class.

However, the 30-year-old was out of luck in the Superbike races, with Kiwi Bruce Anstey edging him out to clinch the spoils in the headline race of the day on the Padgetts Honda RC213V-S. Hickman was then forced out with a blown engine in the second Superbike race, which was won by Dean Harrison on the Silicone Engineering Kawasaki.

Bradford rider Harrison earlier set a new absolute lap record of 134.614mph in the main Superbike race as he finished third behind Anstey and Hickman. Anstey shattered Hickman’s 134.210mph lap record from Thursday’s Dundrod 150 Superbike twice on consecutive laps before Harrison upped the ante with his blistering effort, which ensures the Dundrod course remains the fastest road racing venue in the world.

Hickman won the opening Superstock race by 4.5 seconds from Dan Kneen on the Tyco BMW, who was only 0.044s in front of Harrison at the line. Aussie David Johnston (BMW) and Conor Cummins were the top five.

The British Superbike contender made it a swift double as he won the first Supersport race, narrowly holding off Anstey, while Lee Johnston made it onto the podium in third on his return from injury following a spill at the Isle of Man TT. Harrison was fourth ahead of William Dunlop and his brother Michael on their Yamaha machines.

Hickman completed his hat-trick with another win in the second Supersport race. The Louth rider passed Johnston (Padgetts Honda) on the final lap, with Anstey sweeping through for second pace.

Initially red-flagged following an incident at the Lindsay Hairpin, Hickman was pushed by Michael Dunlop in the early laps, before Anstey reeled the pair in and Johnston joined in the battle. Michael Dunlop finished fourth ahead of Paul Jordan (IMR Yamaha). Harrison was a non-starter after holig his radiator on the warm-up lap.

The final Superbike race was blown wide open when Hickman and Anstey both retired in the early stages, leaving Harrison, Kneen, Conor Cummins and Michael Dunlop to battle it out.

The last lap saw Harrison and Kneen go toe to toe, with Harrison coming from a long way behind at the hairpin to squeeze inside Kneen. There was contact between them, but Harrison recovered to hold on for his maiden Ulster GP win, with Cummins finishing third behind Kneen. Dunlop, who retired from the first Superbike race, was fifth on the Bennetts Suzuki.

Ivan Lintin won the Supertwins race from Dan Cooper, while Paul Robinson and Davy Morgan were the respective winners of the Ultra-Lightweight and Lightweight races.


Loading Comments...