Ben Barnicoat's incredible mid season hot streak continued in rounds seven and eight of the Formula Kart Stars KF3 Championship at Genk in Belgium where despite some adversity and torrential rain on Sunday he came away with two more wins.

After sealing a double win in rounds five and six of the FKS Championship in early July the Mick Barrett Racing driver had gone on to record victory in the prestigious Kartmasters GP Plate event and taken two wins in the British Junior Championship prior to the trip to Belgium.

After heading Saturday's timed qualifying session Barnicoat chased Matthew Graham for the majority of a first heat that was restarted after Ricky Collard's wrist breaking first lap accident. But Barnicoat found a gap a couple of laps from home and took the win with Graham hot on his heels and Charlie Robertson in third.

Graham won heat two by inches from Robertson after Barnicoat's axle snapped going into turn eight, causing a substantial 'off' but with his kart repaired Barnicoat made a superb start to the final from third on the grid to lead on the opening lap.

Graham gave chase but it was in vain as Barnicoat ran out a two second winner from Dylon Phibbs taking third from Edward Jones.

Sunday morning dawned overcast but conditions remained dry for qualifying, which Barnicoat led over Graham by a tenth. But by the time the karts gridded up for heat one the track was wet and rain tyres were on.

Graham got the jump on Barnicoat at the start but soon faded as Robertson bolted into a big lead. Gradually though Barnicoat reeled him in but it took a robust last lap move in the complex to deny Robertson a maiden FKS triumph by just five hundredths.

Six seconds behind the top two Sam Macleod took third with Graham a further five seconds behind in fourth.

Barnicoat was in a class of his own in heat two, beating Robertson by six seconds with the rest, led by Alex Hamilton, nearly 20-seconds down after twelve minutes of racing.

Barnicoat lined up on pole for the sodden final although, from seventh on the grid, Dubai based driver Jones vaulted into the lead. It took Barnicoat a little while to regain his composure but he retook the lead on lap three.

Doggedly Jones held on to Barnicoat's rear bumper despite the massive amount of spray but as the final few laps played out Barnicoat was able to pull out a few vital tenths, taking the chequered flag to complete the weekend double by one and a half seconds.

On his final FKS appearance of the year Jones took a best ever second place with Graham third, losing more ground to Barnicoat in the points chase in the process. Robertson was fourth with Phibbs and Alex Gill completing the top six.



Loading Comments...