TeamVodafone's Jamie Whincup scored a fourth straight victory for the second year running with the Middle East double header, completed at the Gulf Air Desert 400 in Bahrain today.

Whincup eclipsed the great Allan Moffatt's 36 touring car championship wins along the way with his 37th victory. He won all four races to start last year at the Clipsal 500 in Adelaide and ITM400 in Hamilton after that.

Today he overcame some mistakes and a massive challenge from Orrcon Steel FPR Racing's Mark Winterbottom in what was arguably the best race of the four at Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi and the Bahrain International Circuit.

It was another show of strength with a few small chinks exposed in the armour.

Whincup made a rare error and missed the start, becoming swamped by the field, ending up in fifth. He made up one place at turn one on lap two with a clean pass ahead of Fujitsu Racing's Lee Holdsworth to move into fourth with more hard work ahead.

Within two laps he pulled another seemingly effortless pass on mate Will Davison and moved into second. His early lap times showed he was the fastest in the race by some margin.

"That certainly wasn't my perfect performance," Whincup said. "The start was ordinary; I ran wide and had a wheel lockup which I got away with. Then I stalled coming out of the pit bay which I'm not happy about and will have to go away to have a think about.

"It's just a massive, massive effort from our team and one we are immensely proud of. My race wasn't the best today. You don't normally get away with that, normally you get wheel interlock and you break things."

By lap eight Whincup was all over leader Winterbottom. That same lap he got around Winterbottom at turn eight after lunging at turn one. He set Winterbottom up at turn six and turn seven before making the move with position at the next corner.

But Winterbottom did not lie down. He lost the advantage by a few seconds but within 10 laps was back on the rear bumper of Whincup who looked to be struggling with his car. They went nose to tail lap after lap, even almost coming together at their final pit stop.

"I thought I would make him work this time, make him earn the win," Winterbottom said. "He hasn't had it too hard in the last three. He has still got speed on us but made mistakes and showed he is human. It was nice to have a gap on the next car so we could develop again. We will go to Adelaide and make it a little better."

Whincup grew a mini break over Winterbottom on lap 32 (of 37) and was not headed from there.

SP Tools Racing's Shane van Gisbergen was third, his second podium for the trip. While he was a long way back it was a strong performance for his Stone Brothers Racing outfit.

"We changed the car for today and the tyres held on a lot longer. We are working pretty hard. We knew we were strong but not this strong. It's a good thing."

For the second straight day Whincup grabbed the Armor All Pole Position on his very last run, again when two rivals had posted great times in the windy, dusty conditions that became a nightmare for the teams.

Whincup was 21st with four minutes remaining but again came from the clouds once again to edge out Winterbottom and Courtney with just 39 seconds on the clock.

"That was a massively tough session. The conditions had changed quite a lot from yesterday," Whincup said. "Every one of these poles and races is a stand alone event, so to get another pole is a big boost for our team."

The 2010 V8 Supercar Championship Series now continues with the opening Australian event the Clipsal 500 in Adelaide which is expected to draw a crowd of around 280,000 people.