The Stobart Ford team has confirmed that Gigi Galli will not be able to re-start on day two of the Corona Rally Mexico.

Galli had been running in third overall early on, when he slid into a ditch in SS3 and lost around 90 seconds. Worse was to come for the Italian though when he hit a rock on a fast left-hand bend in the very next test, the repeat run through Alfaro, breaking the trailing arm on his Focus RS WRC07.

Although he tried desperately to repair the damage in the stage, after a lengthy period the decision was made to retire for the day.

The broken trailing arm however caused slight damage to the rear section of the rollcage and as such he won't be able to take advantage of the SupeRally.

"I am very disappointed with what happened on stage 4 today and the fact we have retired from the event," he reflected. "It was the first corner and I came flat in third gear and the car slid too wide and we banged into a rock.

"We tried to fix the problem on the stage but ended up losing too much time and had to retire. It was just so silly because everything was feeling good and it was so unlucky that we hit the rock because I felt like I was set up well for the fast left-hand corner.

"The first two stages today were very good and I actually didn't really expect to get such good times because we were taking no risks and just driving sensibly and everything, the car, tyres and setup, was all perfect.

"I had a slight problem with a pacenote on stage 3 and we spun into a ditch and were stuck for a while as there were only four spectators to help us out there. It is a shame I only got to drive about 60 kilometres on gravel and with the new tyres but the experience will help me when we go to Argentina for the next round."

Matthew Wilson meanwhile finished the day seventh in the other Stobart car nominated to score manufacturers' points, despite having lost almost a minute after being caught in the dust of fellow WRC competitor Toni Gardemeister.

"The speed this morning was very good for us despite being held up in Toni's dust on stage 2 where we lost around 50 seconds," Matt added. "The first two in the afternoon weren't the best for me because the roads had cleared up which offered more grip that I didn't quite use to full effect.

"The final proper stage before the super specials was really good though and had if it not been for a couple of silly little mistakes we would have been well under a second a kilometre off the fastest guys. This was a good way to finish the day as we head into tomorrow which I know will be another challenging leg."



Loading Comments...