Ferrari team chief Stefano Domenicali has insisted that the FOTA teams' decision to lodge entries for the 2010 Formula One season - albeit conditionally - isn't an indication that they are prepared to accept the FIA's budget cap plans.

The nine remaining teams on the grid joined Williams in lodging entries with the governing body ahead of the Friday deadline, but with a number of conditions attached.

Those conditions include the signing of a new Concorde Agreement by 12 June and a set of regulations based on the current 2009 rules being used.

As a result, Domenicali insisted that the decision to sign up wasn't an indication of acceptance of the budget cap, with the teams confident that their own cost-cutting measures would be enough.

"Absolutely not," he replied when asked if the teams may eventually accept the cap. "The request to make the 2009 regulations the starting point, means there will be no budget cap.

"[Cost cutting] should be done by implementing a self-regulating procedure within FOTA, so that the body itself and the teams carry out the monitoring. We know exactly what must be done and we can do it on our own, as can be seen from what has been achieved so far. In fact, this is exactly what has been happening for years as regards testing, where it is the teams that have reached an agreement among themselves to manage the situation and it works well.

"The FIA wants to significantly reduce costs with two objectives: to stop any more existing teams from quitting the sport and to allow for the eventual entry of new teams. Both these targets can be met: costs will be considerably reduced and, at the same time, there will be considerable efforts made by the current competitors in Formula 1 to stay in the sport."

Domenicali added that the conditional nature of the current entries left no room for manoeuvre, and that the entries from the nine teams - Williams aside - would be invalid if the conditions laid down weren't meant.

"It's very simple," he said. "The nine teams - Williams membership having been suspended - that currently make up FOTA, have put in entries for the 2010 championship that will only be valid if the Concorde Agreement is signed and if the regulations will be those currently in use, but modified as per FOTA's suggestions.

"The action taken yesterday is completely in keeping with Ferrari's principles, as stated at the Main Board meeting on 12 May and with those of FOTA."

The Ferrari chief also pointed out that if the compromise is reached, it shouldn't be regarded as a victory for the teams over the FIA.

"If this happens, and I really hope it does, I would prefer to say that Formula 1 is the winner," he said. "It will have kept its main characteristics of technological and sporting competition, it will have been assured of stability in the regulations and the long term commitment of the participants. This is what FOTA has always wanted: to work alongside the FIA and the Commercial Rights Holder for a healthy and prosperous Formula 1."

Comments

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register to add your comment